Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:43 PM   #1

My apologies in advance and my appreciation for you experts answering yet another question like this one.

I have always had a Canon, starting with an AE1 my grandfather gave me ages ago. My most recent was an Powershot S70 I purchased when I started wandering the world. I chose to no longer haul about the camera equipment.

Most of my photo's are landscapes I post to the web or print at no larger than 8x10. If interested samples can be found on my blog www.the-housesitter.com. I suggest you check out either the Ireland or Roatan images, though there are some nice shots of Colorado.

My current needs/wants are these: the very best possible picture quality in an easily travels, durable, (no silliness with lens covers or power buttons) easy to use with a zoom, macro and wide angle settings. I am more point and shoot these days than fiddle with the settings person.

Does such a thing exist? Would you be so kind as you point me to it.
Panasonic TZ series? I am not married to Canon though I do love them.

Thank you!
shetravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:33 PM   #2

shetravels-

Because my husband I travel the world on a very regular basis, just like yourself, let me share with you a very recent camera decision that I made for our up coming trip on which we will, sail across the Atlantic from Fort Lauderdale, FL, then we will complete a Baltic Captials cruise, finally ending in Stockholm.

After a lot of study, I selected the TZ-5 as my travel camera. It is a sizable upgrade from the TZ-1 and TZ-3. I was a bit hesitant when I placed the order. However, after the camera arrived around noon, I had charged the battery, and was able to take some test photos, I was convinced that I had made the correct choice.

It is a pretty amazing camera. I am very pleased. I have attached some photo samples for your review.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:29 PM   #3

Hey Sarah,

Indeed the TZ 5 is a possibility... I am so happy you foudn what you are looking for.
Holy hannah tha 1st pic is NICE and the macro.... inideed yes this camera is on my list. Thank you so much!

what does anyone know about this camera?
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:43 PM   #4

shetravels-

I have used the Olympus SW 790 trying to get the very best image possible and I have been very disappointed again and againwith the results. The Panasonic TZ-5 clearly beats it by avery wide margeinor a good mesure when you compare the two images,side by side.

Shetravels, I am not attempting to decieve at all. My husband and I lecture on cruise ships (digital cameras made really easy is our signature and it is another good gig) for10 out ofevery 12 months out of each year. You can hardly beat that! Yes, indeed it costs some bucks, but we are willing to pay the cost, to get what we really want.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5

do you mean digital cams are your profession?

wow you really do know the and and outs. Pehaps you have done all the
research I am in the process of and I should just go with my gut on the TZ5

Thanks oodles!

edit! I have seen you web site...well then you are a professional and a
pilot..goodness me.

Alrighty, when I get back to the states 5 May I wll attemp to locate a TZ5
I only have two days and one is a sunday...wish me luck!

Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6

shetravels-

Yes, that is exactly what we mean. My husband and I cruise 10 out of every 12 months. We present a widely diversived series of digital camera lectures on cruise ships. Our goal is to equip the average cruise ship passenger with enough knowledge to record their cruise voyage into a format that we enable them to have many good memories. But I will caution you, it takes an advanced scholastic degree to be accepted as a lecturer on cruise ships.

Sarah Joyce