Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:36 PM   #1

• Best choice for all around use.We take a lot of cruise pictures.:-)[/*]
gmg1130g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2

gmg-

My husband and I teach digital cameras on cruise ships In fact, we will leave on 04/26 for our 582nd cruise. So, as you might assume, we have a whole lot of experience on cruise ships.

To obtain a proper starting point for our dialogue, I think it would help a lot if you could tell us what camera you are currently using, and why you want to move over to an ultra zoom.

That will give us some background to work with in getting the camera that is exactly right for you. I have attached two different photos for you. The first is a nice Caribbean Sunset photo. The second is the Crown Princess docked in San Juan. We did a long contract last year on the Crown Princess.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:57 PM   #3

I am a novice user. I have been using Canon A85 for last few years it served its purpose,but now I want something to get better closeups on the beach and ships.Weare going on next cruise in Sept. so have plenty of time to get use to it I'm leaning towards Fuji had ne before got good use.:-)
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4

gmg-

But the Fuji camera is selling for $(US) 799.00 and the Kodak Z-8612 has gotten a facelift and now sells for $(US) 249.00, that is a pretty big disparity. The Kodak Z-712 which I used for the photo of the Crown Princess in San Juan has 7.2mp 12X optical zoom, full IS, and it is selling for less than $(US) 200.00.

Personally I think that the Kodak Z-712 at less than $(US) 200.00 and virtually the very same image quality could save you a few bucks you could spend on your cruise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:48 AM   #5

Thank you, The Fuji S1000fd just came out last week and is the big brother to the S700.It is selling here for 249.95 same as Kodak.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6

gmp-

I must apologize. I confused the s100fs with the s1000fd. The big difference between the s1000fd and the Kodak Z-8612 is that the Kodak Z-8612 does indeed have Image Stabilization with is particularly usefull when the camera is zoom out to a longer focal length. Once again, as the Kodak Z-8612 is not a huge technical improvement over the Z-712, the improvements are very minor, and mostltly cosmetic.Italso does not appear to have an EVF, or an Electronic View Finder for framing your pictures. That forces you to use the LCD screen for framing your photos.. It is just my opinion but the added mp of the Fuji S1000fd and the Kodak Z8612 will not do much in terms of improving overall image quality. Personally, I think having the IS and the EVF on the Kodak Z-712 would be much more useful.

However, in the final analysis, the choice is yours.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:12 PM   #7

I apprciate the info. Thank you very much.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:44 PM   #8

gmg-

And yes, I did positively confirm that the Kodak Z8612 does not have any kind of viewfinder. All of the framing of your photos must be done by using the Z-8612's LCD screen which might be difficult to do in the bright sunshine you might find on your cruise.

Sarah Joyce