Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:58 PM   #1

I've decided to get a video camera that records to SD cards but that can also double as a half-decent digicam.
I can't spend much, so I've singled out the two in the title.

I like the CA6 more because it's water-resistant, and I intend to use it on the go, so not having to worry about the rain would be a plus.

But I want to be able to stick it in my pants pocket, so size is important too.

If push came to shove size would be more important; I like it that I don't have to worry about getting the CA6 wet, but it's not like I intend to use it while standing in the rain (not without an umbrella, anyway), so the CG65 could do too.

Which of the two would you say is easier to stick in a pants pocket, and by how much?

Also, I notice that the CA6 has a rather weird placement for the screen hinge, which makes it impossible to grab it like you do the CG65; is it as uncomfortable as it looks in pictures?

And of course, if you know of other similar cameras at similar prices, I'd be grateful if you told me

Thanks.
Violet sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:18 PM   #2

IMHO I would go with the Sanyo Xacti CG65. However, that camera will NOT double as a digital camera. That is just put out there to foolor deceiveyou. The Imager design in video clip cameras is entirely (not even close to that of any good digital camera0 so it cannot ever really work like an efficient digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:34 AM   #3

You would choose the CG65 because it's smaller?

I already have a good digicam, but it's a bit bulky to fit even in a jacket pocket. It couldn't fit in pants pockets without a miracle.

I'm looking for something I can carry around to do video and happy snaps, and the Xactis seem just perfect for that.

Besides, the example pictures I'm seeing in this review of the older C6 don't look half bad. Even the trees aren't the jumbled mess I'd expect from a video imager.

Those shots can't hold a candle to what my Kodak produces, obviously, but they will do just fine for happy snapping.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Hi violet sky,

I have a CG6 which is very similar in size and shape as the newer CG65. I also had my hands on a CA6 for a short time for comparison.

The CA6 is rounder and fatter than the CG6 (CG65), therefore bulkier in the pocket.

The CA6 LCD screen can only open out sideways. It does not have a second hinge to flip up and down like the CG65.

I found that the CA6 is difficult to hold because of its round shape - however, it does come with a handstrap so that you can hold it securely, particularly during sports and action.

Another important point you should note is that the CA6 does NOT have a lens cap.

From your description, I also agree that the CG65 is probably better for your needs.

I also bought the CG6 as a very portable digital camcorder (with better optical and digital quality than the cheaper name brands such as Aiptek - though they are catching up pretty quickly!!). When you compare the video quality with an average miniDV camcorder, you shall find that the major problem of the Sanyo series is auto white balance - you get a more yellow & green color shift. Video clarity is decent, with little digital compression artefact in good sunlight, "simple" scenes (not too many moving things), and objects with sharp contrast - a famous example of compression artefact is some blockiness from blades of grass when filming the lawn. The camera also handles more extreme challenges, such as filming the road from a speeding motorcycle, pretty well, as long as there is plenty of light. The performance in dim indoor light (eg. one 100W bulb in a small sitting room) is also decent and not any worse (maybe better) than the average miniDV camcorder, as long as you are shooting at where the light falls and not the dark corners of the room.

Battery is good, about 70 minutes. A 2 GB SD card holds up to about 80 minutes of video at the highest quality setting (never use a lesser quality setting!!), and it supports SDHC (older models require firmware update).

As for still picture quality, obviously it is not as good as any of the major name brands. However, it is still decent in the outdoor with plenty of light. The major deficiencies are soft(er) image, JPEG compression artefact and auto white balance problem as in the video mode.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5

CG65 it'll be then

Before I buy it, does anyone know of other cameras that would be good for me? Other manufacturers are fine.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:10 PM   #6

VioletSky-

Certainly, the Canon TX-1 is a consideration, and it is currently being well discounted.

Sarah Jolyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:51 PM   #7

I can only think of two other brands:

(1) The Panasonic SDR-S100/150 is designed to be a digital camcorder with low resolution still pictures (3.1 MP). Records DVD quality video with MPEG-2 compression, at the expense of larger filesize (eg. only 25 minutes per 1 GB vs. 40 min/ GB in the Sayno C series, at the highest quality setting). Support SDHC cards officially up to 4 GB (but some users reported that 8 GB cards also work, except the maximum filesize of individual video is still limited to 4 GB because of the FAT32 filing system limitation). The original price is VERY EXPENSIVE but now the SDR S150 is $399.99 at B&H. This is still more expensive than the Sanyo C series. You can find a professional review here:

http://www.*********/content/Panason...der-Review.htm

(P.S. the dreaded mask again !!!! it should read camcorderinfo (DOT) com )

(But I must say, camcorderinfo makes VERY CRITICAL reviews, comparing everything only with the highest quality professional-grade equipments!!)

(2) Aiptek is a more affordable alternative, but I dunno about the quality and reliability because I have never owned one. I must say when I look at them in the stores, I am impressed with the vast imporvement of build quality of these "lesser brands".

Aiptek are all marketed as hybrid cameras/ camcorders, but most models have fixed (non-zoom) optical lens except the GO-HD and MZ-DV models (3X optical zoom). They are larger than the Sanyo C series but still pocketable. If you want to read some reviews, there is an active forum here at Hybrid Still/ Movie/ MP3 Digicams:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=92

Fishycomics is the moderator there who is very helpful.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:00 AM   #8

In the end I decided to wait. Now, after a few months, I'm thinking of getting a Xacti again.

I've ruled out the CA6, but I found the CA65 for slightly less money than the CG65. The difference in expense is not enough to be significant, I just want the better of the two.
The CA65 seems to be the best of both worlds: small as the CG65, waterproof as the CA6.
What do you think?