Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:53 AM   #1

If i could have these 2 dslr (new) for the same bargain price , which would be best ?

What i really like with the 30D is it's ergonomics , the 400D looks and feels plastic which it is by the way.:-)

I don't really mind the 2m/pixels difference in resolution , i do like to crop in post treatment but i think the 8m from the 30D should be enough.:roll:

You could say why not go for the 40D or 450D ?, well i do shoot everything in RAW and i'm not convinced the results will be much better then on a 30D which i can purchase at half the price . Better spend that money on a good lens , right ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:12 AM   #2

You have to look beyond the megapixels to see what the difference between the two cameras. The 400D is a consumer grade camera while the 30D is semi-pro. Where you will see the difference is in shooting speed, metering, autofocus speed and accuracy as well as other differences.

Both are excellent cameras in their class and capable of great results when properly used.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:14 PM   #3

if they are the same price (new) and you dont find the weight a problem then the 30d is the better camera - better build, better ergonomics.

I will disagree somewhat with Bob though - the 30d and 400d share an AF system so I wouldn't expect to see any difference in speed or accuracy - although there is a fps difference. Mark1616 has the 30d so I'm sure he can give you a better first hand point of view.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:43 AM   #4
Super Moderator

John is right and I havea 30D which has served me well for a long time although now relegated to my 3rd camera. I havea friend who has a 400D however if we ever go and shoot together she will always want to use the 30 over the 400 as the handling is better for her. If you ever need to shoot in low light conditions then the better high ISOability of the 30 is going to help you out and if you want to do any wildlife/sports then the higher fps is also a good bonus.

Personally I would suggest going to handle the two cameras and see which works best for you but I would go for the 30 over the 400 any day.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:46 AM   #5

Now i have another option , for the same price as the Canon 30D i can have a Nikon D80 with the battery grip :?:?

Difficult choice
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:27 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Check these out for info between the two.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...hlight=30D+D80

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...hlight=30D+D80
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote