Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:00 AM   #1

Hey I am trying to pick out a good digital camera to complement my D50 on my cruise. I want the camera to be waterproof so I can take it snorkeling, but I also want it to take pretty good pictures at times when it is not reasonable to be lugging around my DLSR. I know the pictures of any of these cameras likely won't match the quality of the D50 but it should still take decent photos.

From what I've seen the best options below $400.00 are the Pentax W30 and the Olympus SW1030.
Does anyone have experience with either of these models or even better with both?
Let me know what you think of these or if you know of another option.
Thanks
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:36 PM   #2

Quickster-

Both those cameras have both depth limits and time limits at those specified depths. If those restrictions work for you, you have found another solution. I work on cruise ships teaching digital cameras, so I have seen various solutions to your problem.

So here are several other solutions for you.

(1) Vivitar sells a waterproof camera for about $120 (see attached photo)

(2) The photo department on board any cruise ship sailing in warm waters such as the Caribbean, also sell a throw away camera encased in a submergable plastic case for around $15,00

(3) If an Olympus camera is your choice, go to the Olympus website on E-Bay where they auction off refurbished cameras. You can usually get what you want for half price. For example we are on Alaskan cruises every year. As you might know, it rains a lot in Alaska. So I needed a splash proof camera that I could use without worry in the rain. That is a much different application than a camera that you take with you underwater. I got an Olympus Stylus 830 for $119.00 delivered to my home. You will notice from the attached photos that the Stylus 830 sells at Amazon.com for $252.90 plus shipping.

I have attached a photo of the Vivitar camera for you. It is available at Amazon.com

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:55 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Quickster-

Both those cameras have both depth limits and time limits at those specified depths. If those restrictions work for you, you have found another solution. I work on cruise ships teaching digital cameras, so I have seen various solutions to your problem.

So here are several other solutions for you.

(1) Vivitar sells a waterproof camera for about $120 (see attached photo)

(2) The photo department on board any cruise ship sailing in warm waters such as the Caribbean, also sell a throw away camera encased in a submergable plastic case for around $15,00

(3) If an Olympus camera is your choice, go to the Olympus website on E-Bay where they auction off refurbished cameras. You can usually get what you want for half price. For example we are on Alaskan cruises every year. As you might know, it rains a lot in Alaska. So I needed a splash proof camera that I could use without worry in the rain. That is a much different application than a camera that you take with you underwater. I got an Olympus Stylus 830 for $119.00 delivered to my home. You will notice from the attached photos that the Stylus 830 sells at Amazon.com for $252.90 plus shipping.

I have attached a photo of the Vivitar camera for you. It is available at Amazon.com

Sarah Joyce
Have you gotten to use the Vivitar? If so how are quality of the photos?
The reason I'm looking into the digital ones is the film seem to be 11~20.00 a piece plus development for 27 exposures.
I've gotten spoiled by digital and being able to take a ton of photos and only keep the good ones.

Thanks for the tip on the Olympus Auction site, I'll see what they have there.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:36 PM   #4

Quickster-

No, I have neither handled nor seen the photo output from the Vivitar. However, the user reviews over at Amazon sound pretty good.

Yes, the Olympus refurb possibility is a good one.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:48 PM   #5

Well, Quickster-

What did you decide? I am interested to know. I also hope that you rfeally enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:58 AM   #6

I haven't, I'm still looking. I've put out the same question on several different websites to see if I can find anyone who has used these cameras and what their experiences were.
I'm also trying to find someplace local that carries them so I can get a look at the pics one can expect and also the form factor.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:23 AM   #7

I did just find someone locally selling an Olympus SP700 with underwater housing for 200.00 anyone ever use this camera?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:02 AM   #8

As a big Olympus fan myself, I checked the the model list and after a quick look could not find the "SP-700." There is a C-7000, and the highest the SP models go is the SP-570. Am I missing something?

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:23 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
As a big Olympus fan myself, I checked the the model list and after a quick look could not find the "SP-700." There is a C-7000, and the highest the SP models go is the SP-570. Am I missing something?

Sarah Joyce
I found it when I looked this morning:
http://www.amazon.com/OLYMPUS-SP-700...119&sr=8-1

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...4/product.html

http://www.**********************/digi...0_reviews.html

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...p700/show.html

But I can't find out a ton about it. Its like it only had a limited release, and I found nothing about it on this website. I only found one in depth review:
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly.../sp700-gen.php

Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:34 PM   #10

Quickster-

Many thanks for the quick reply. I guess that one just slipped past me, as I had never heard of it.

Sarah Joyce