Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:20 AM   #11

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Lots to consider as already stated in previous posts. I would look into the availability of lenses that would suit your photographic interests. Nothing worse than to decide on a system and find lenses that either are not available or just too expensive for your budget.

All of them do reasonably well with their respective camerakit lens/combo starter. A dedicated flash for that system is the way to go rather than something third party. Flash definitely adds flexibility in your photography when more light is needed.

Also, keep in mind that the camera bodies for digital are not like the film bodies. They are basically sophisticated computer imaging devices and don't have the life expectantcy that film bodies have shown to have.

Lens is the investment. Better to start with a system that has lens availability to suit your needs and enjoy the camera/lens kit combo you choose and save for that next lens, rather than buying something to fill that focal length void which will soon disappoint and end up either being sold for much less or given away or becominga dust collector.

Mahalo,

Tom
The hard part is trying to determine what lenses I'll eventually want to buy. I may find out only after using a lense that I need a better/different lens.

Is there a great advantage to one manufacturer's lenses over another? Is one set more "universal" than another? Also, how do I avoid bying a set of lenses that later get phased out by the manufacturer?

frank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:23 AM   #12

frank10 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at a budget of around $700 for a camera and initial lens. Then, I'd buy additional lenses at a later time.
B&H [http://www.bhphotovideo.com ] has the Canon XTi (10MP) with the 18-55mm kit lens in stock for about $610. If your older lenses are EF mount(as opposed to the earlier FD mount without autofocus), then they will also work with the XTi.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:44 AM   #13

frank10 wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Lots to consider as already stated in previous posts. I would look into the availability of lenses that would suit your photographic interests. Nothing worse than to decide on a system and find lenses that either are not available or just too expensive for your budget.

All of them do reasonably well with their respective camerakit lens/combo starter. A dedicated flash for that system is the way to go rather than something third party. Flash definitely adds flexibility in your photography when more light is needed.

Also, keep in mind that the camera bodies for digital are not like the film bodies. They are basically sophisticated computer imaging devices and don't have the life expectantcy that film bodies have shown to have.

Lens is the investment. Better to start with a system that has lens availability to suit your needs and enjoy the camera/lens kit combo you choose and save for that next lens, rather than buying something to fill that focal length void which will soon disappoint and end up either being sold for much less or given away or becominga dust collector.

Mahalo,

Tom
The hard part is trying to determine what lenses I'll eventually want to buy. I may find out only after using a lense that I need a better/different lens.

Is there a great advantage to one manufacturer's lenses over another? Is one set more "universal" than another? Also, how do I avoid bying a set of lenses that later get phased out by the manufacturer?

Your best bet is what Tcav posted. Having four kids to raise and wanting a camera with good lens availability over all would be Canon. I say this because other makes have had some issues with availability more so than Canon and shopping online is most likely not an option that you can afford timewise. Lensescan be found and/or be had for a good pricebut can be time consuming to say the least and you may run into the unfortunate less than honest seller. I don't have a Canon system myself but nevertheless I find that they would fit your needs nicely.

There are sites in which could help you determine which lenses would be for future consideration. Fredmiranda.com has user reviews on lenses and Pbase.com has professional to everyday users posting photos with a particular camera and/or lens that you may view and see if it is what you would consider for your next purchase.

Also, posting in the Canon forum questions about a particular lens will lend some insight as to the likes/dislikes and possible deals about it.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:25 AM   #14

TCav wrote:
Quote:
frank10 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at a budget of around $700 for a camera and initial lens. Then, I'd buy additional lenses at a later time.
B&H [http://www.bhphotovideo.com ] has the Canon XTi (10MP) with the 18-55mm kit lens in stock for about $610. If your older lenses are EF mount (as opposed to the earlier FD mount without autofocus), then they will also work with the XTi.
It looks like Dell has this camera and lens at $589
frank10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:40 AM   #15

frank10 wrote:
Quote:
It looks like Dell has this camera and lens at $589
So, are your old lenses EF or FD? EF lenses will work wigh current Canon SLRs, while FD lenses will require an adapter and won't autofocus.

Also, let me start by saying that I have been very pleased with Dell's products for years. But with that said, I have often been disappointed with them when shipping productsmade byother companies. I've ordered items they listed as 'In Stock', foolishly paying for overnight or second day shipping, only to find that it took them a week to get it from the warehouse shelf to the loading dock. From there, it was shipped overnight or second day or whatever. With Dell, I don't bother with expensive shipping options any more. I don't understand why it takes Dell a week to move something 100 ft. when UPS can move it across the country in a single day.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:27 PM   #16

frank10 wrote:
Quote:
We're heading into summer baseball season, so I really want to get my system by late may or early June. I do have a family party next weekend, but I don't think I'll be able to make an educated decision by then.

Quote:
Unfortunately you're going to have to make sacrifices. You're not goint to get a camera, decent lens for baseball and external flash for parties for $700. You can buy cheap gear for that much, but I would strongly recommend priotitizing and get decent (not top notch but at least decent) gear instead.

The way to avoid getting the wrong ggear and being dissatisfied is to buy gear when you NEED it. I.E. ignore the urge to buy lenses to "cover a long focal range" - you end up with a couple cheap lenses that do it poorly. Good gear fetches a decent price on resale - cheap gear gets you nothing.

So, camera and kit lens for $600 is nice but wont meet your goals of party pics very well (due to on-board flash) and wont be sufficient for baseball. Im not saying you need to spend $4000 here - just dont want you to spend $700 and find out you cant shoot what you want to shoot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote