Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:38 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

i'm a master student doing work on digital cameras, such as nikon coolpix series (or other brands. digital SLR exluded) and wanted to ask you, between these parameters, what's more important to you when looking for a new camera?:

- full automatic or manual options
- big zoom
- ergonomics - grip, buttons...
- mega pixels
- size - small and compact
- design - shape
- color
- big LCD
- batteries - AA or lithium
- easy use - intuitive, easy to operate

and what is missing in your camera? what would you add or improve?
any ideas for future cameras?...

your help is most appreciated : )

thanks you very much, and a lovely weekend

guychko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:49 AM   #2

You left out the most important factor of all - picture quality.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:31 AM   #3

you're right, it is very important of course, and if i were to count all the parameters it will be a long list... but i'm trying to concentrate for now on more external features, before i get into internal elements.
so if picture qulity is first, what parameters from the list you think will follow then?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:10 PM   #4

What is the purpose of your research? Just curious. This is important because from a market research standpoint the question is too broad. There are different market segments that use digicams. The list of important features will differ by market segment. Which of course is why manufacturers have several lines of digital cameras. So without factoring in market segment, I'm curious what type of research it is you're really trying to do?

You say you're doing work on digital cameras like Nikon coolpix. What exactly does that mean? Are you employed by Nikon? Are you just using nikon cameras for a hobby? Are you doing a thesis about digital cameras?

I guess I was just confused by this first part of your statement. I could understand just being curious what people like in a camera - but I didn't understand where the "master student doing work on digital cameras" fits in. Can you elaborate a little?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5

You must realize of course that the camera chosen, in large part depends on:

* How accomoplished photographically the user might be - that simply meanshow well does the user know and understand their photo techniques.

* The cameras that the user has previously used and enjoyed

* The camera that the user's friends or relatives use, that might be called the keeping up with the Jones syndrome.

*The"ultimate camera" that the user has in his or her sights.

Therefore before features, for your research paper (and I know about research papers,a thesis, and the like as I hold an advanced degree myself), I sincerely you ought to categorize the users, then set up a feature set that appeals to each category of user.

Also, in as much as Nikon has had a less than sterling record with their digicam line, that might not be the best brand line to focus upon. I would suggest that you focus on the Canon brand line. It is much more diverse and Canon will probably be the very first brand name to introduce the use of the CMOS imager in digicams in the next 18 to 24 months. Please accept these, for what they are, just suggestions.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6

well, let me elaborate a little.
i'm an industrial design student. I'm doing a design project for a new camera for the nikon coolpix collection.
since i don't have to concentrate on the optical features right now, i chose these parameters that concern more on outside components. it's true that i need to define the user more profoundly - the coolpix collection has three different lines for that reason, for different users. but i'm not defining specifically right now, in order to try and get responses from the three different consumer-typs, and see what are the needs for development.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:15 PM   #7

I honestly believe that in not telling us the issues and the provisos right up front you have made your inquiry much lesscreditable and honest. Personally, I feel somewhat deceived by the dishonest or deceptive manner in which you arroached us on this issue.I will opt not to take part in your survey.

Had you been more forthright and honest in your initial inquiry, I might feel differently. How can you expect honest answers when you do not choose to approach your audience in a spirit of honestly and openess. I hope that you have learned a lesson in the process.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:23 PM   #8

Whenever I see a survey, I get scared.

It means that someone, possibly a person with some influence, has composed a set of choices that they think matter, and didn't leave room for things they haven't considered.

Case in point:
  • ergonomics - grip, buttons...[/*]
  • size - small and compact[/*]
  • design - shape[/*]
  • easy use - intuitive, easy to operate
[/*]
Four of your ten choices are all the same: Ergonomics.

Yet you've excluded what many of us think is the most important factor: Image Quality. You justify that by saying that you want to concentrate on external factors. So, I presume that someday, you'll return with another survey, asking us what's more important to us: External Factors or Internal Factors.

The problem with surveys (Yes. All surveys.) is that, not only does the survey author not know enough about the subject matter, he or she doesn't know enough about writing surveys. And the people that do know a lot about writing surveys know how to write them so they get the answers they want, so they don't need to know anything about the subject matter. And people that know a lot about the subject matter don't ever know anything about writing surveys.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:29 PM   #9

sarah,

it wasn't my intention to decieve anybody.
the lack of details were to allow an open mind and a pure answer, not because i have something to hide.
i didnt say i'm a design student in order not to give the design parameters more value.
i didnt say it's for nikon since i wanted answers from all users alike, not just coolpix users.
i'm not defining much ,user-wise, because i'm in an early research fase.
there were no false intentions behind this survay, just a true desire to learn.
i'm sorry you feel that way, and i do hope you will participate since the consumer opinion is most important.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:42 PM   #10

mmmm.... well, this is certainly a learning experience for me here.

lets try to approach here in a different way:

Lets say you have a point and shoot camera (whatever company) one which does all the work, and you don't have to do anything besides... well, point and shoot.
but now you want to upgrade. you want to learn more about apperture, speed, ISO... you dont want an SLR camera, too much for you, but you do want something more, to get deeper.
what would you look for?
lets say you have to list the things, my list of parameters were just to give something and not leave it totaly open, but you can add and choose as you like. i'm not closing anything right now, it's not - my parameters and that's it! i do need you real answers beyong the scope of the limited list.
and dont worry - no influence here, just trying to get a true opinion