Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:12 AM   #11

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
I just don't like the idea of buying more than one lens, carring around the extra lens and changing it out. Not to mention the dust issue. I would trade off some loss of quality which I would expect for the conveinance of a single lens, depending on just how much a difference it would be.
That is exactly what I though when I bought my Konica Minolta 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 superzoom lens (a rebranded Tamron.) It has since found a good home through eBay, albeit for less than half what I paid for it new(and I bought it wholesale.)

But good luck to you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:44 AM   #12

You are trying to make it tough for me. :?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:59 AM   #13

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
You are trying to make it tough for me. :?
On the contrary! [suB]:-)[/suB]
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:41 PM   #14

Yes I know. I was just kidding. I will have to re-evaluate.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:31 PM   #15

As far as dust goes, it just isn't that big of an issue for me, especially since I figured out that I shouldkeep my back to the wind, andhow to change lenses with a two-handed method so the camera is exposed for a very short time. A couple of puffs with ahand air blower has always gotten rid of what dust I've noticed on pictures.

I can understand not wanting to carry a second lens/extra equipment. And if that's the case,perhaps a dSLR isn't the right choice for you. In my case, the desire for better quality pictures overcame my dislike of carrying extra equipment and I quickly figured out that an all-in-one lens wouldn't do what I wanted at all. Now I find it fun to see what different lenses will make of the same scene, or try to match equipment to what I want to capture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:46 PM   #16

Folks - no offense to anyone, but this is TravelChild's thread.

Videobruce, if you're interested in advice, can you please start a separate thread so Travel Child can get the answers that fit HIS/HER needs which may be different than yours?

not trying to be mean - just don't want the OP to miss out on their help.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:54 AM   #17

I am also about to buy a camera and I can understand the confusion. In fact, I have come to realise that there are only second-best choices and that we are in the hands of greedy camera manufacturers that cleverly price and design their goods so that we will spend more than should be necessary. The Oly is face value, a good option but then they charge extremely heftely for their better lenses. My thinking has rerally been along your lines but I would like to add some info:

- If you want a single lens, there appears to be only one good choice today and that is the Nikon 18-250 VRII judging from evaluations. The best house for that lens may bethe D80. D40, D40X and D60 are too small for me (the balance "tips over"). My problem is that I do not like the feel of the D80.

- The Oly has a very nice feel and it is very light (well - at least the lenses that go with it is). There are plenty of sites around that suggest that one should change the factory settings on this camera (no noice reduction, sharpening more or less - I dont remember what now). However, the dynamic range appears weak and I look to be able to do some shooting indoors, and it only appears sharp on ISO 100-400). A very important plus for the Oly is that is stabilization in the body.

- Sony A350. I do not know if you are interested in this camera but it also has stabilization in the body. I did not like the ergonomics of this though.

I will end with my preferred choice right now, Canon XSI. It has a nice grip and is small and light. The new kit lens is supposed to be good (although the range is not so practical, only 18-55). And it also has a light zoom (55-250 IS). I would really have liked to get the Nikon superzoom to this camera, but Canon has its own logic in terms of zooms. They make excellent lenses but they are rather expensive and unfortunately I feel that their ranges for their better lenses are not practical at all (I guess they want you to buy many of them. They have a 17-85 lens which has a good range (in my view) for everyday use and it is light; unfortunately its geometrics is crap (Anyone out there at Canon: IS there anyone on this planet that likes slanting buildings!?). There is a Sigma superzoom for this camera, but it is not vety good either. My hope is that sooner or later Canon will realize the need for (or a pirate competitor will provide) a good superzoom so that one need to carry so many lenses.

So now, you realize myexhaustion with the camera manufacturers. I would let two issues determine my choice and in that order: (1) Photo quality (for the type of photo that you will be taking mostly); and (2) Ergonomics (only you can decide here). But in fact, as one person suggested above, a compact may not be a bad alternative as they have improved a lot lately. Then I would also like at the Canon G9.

I hope this has been helpful to some extent. Good luck and don't be discouraged!
Mikael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:29 AM   #18

Mikael A,

I believe the general concensus is that the Tamron 18-250 is the best superzoom available. But that's like saying that the Honda Odyssey is the best minivan. That is, it does most things adequately, but few things well.

This is not a conspiracy. Superzoom lenses for large image sensors are difficult to design and manufacturer, and are big and expensive. If you really must have a single lens for everything, I think the Tamron is the one to have, but I do not beleive that is a worthwhile goal.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:58 AM   #19
Administrator

My vote in the entry level dSLR category would be for the Sony DSLR-A200

You can pick up a kit including the Sony DSLR-A200 and and a Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lens with more focal range from wide to long than most kit lenses for around $599 now.

Then, use it for a while before deciding what lenses would suit you best (and it can use any Minolta Autofocus lens, as well as third party lenses in this mount from Tamron, Sigma and others).

You can find some great bargains in Minolta Autofocus Lenses in the used market. For example, the Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO AF lens is a popular choice in a longer zoom, and is readily available at vendors of used gear like http://www.keh.com (and any lens you use on a Sony A200 would be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system).

Note that I'm biased since I'm currently shooting with a Sony DSLR-A700, using a variety of Minolta and Tamron Autofocus lenses with it. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:22 PM   #20

Dear TCav,

It's not a matter of conspiracy. To some extent the manufacturers can do better products already today then what they are releasing (why should they?) but the issue that they want us stuck on a system. That is why the Oly is cheap. But I do respect especially Oly (contrary to Sony and Canon) for many reasons which I think will not interest TravelGirl.

I did mean the Nikon lens although I should have written 18-200. Please refer to www.cameralabs.com as one example of where it gets the highest ranking in its class. I also believe that Sony has developed the Tamron further. I would not go for a lens like this without IS/VR if this is not in the body. But you might very well be right that all superzooms are poor compromises, although I do see the advantages of not having to bring so many lenses or risk loosing pictures because you have the wrong lens on the camera.

I forgot to mention that there is also thenoption of buying the Oly and getting the Zuiko 12-60 lens which is supposed to be excellent. This lens is comparably expensive but this cost is partly offset by the fact that the Oly is dirt cheap. The one could complement that with a long-range zoom.

I would not buy a Sony just try it out unless you have an unlimited budget. You should be aware that since all the cameras are incompatible with each other, you are buying into a system that you will be stuck with for many years to come. I reckon myself as an amateur that I will be stuck with my system for the rest of my life.

I am sorry if my statements may have been a bit crude but space does not lend itself for lengthy discussion. All my statements are based on secondary information. May I also add that I used a system camera for many years as a youth (Minolta) and
I wish I could use those lenses todayas they were of highest quality. One issue by the way, so many pros around are stuck in glass being the optimum material for a lens. But glass is a heavy material and plastic is light. Plastic may not be as good today but it will be one day. You can so many things with plastic today, so why not a lens. Now I have upset all the pros around here :G. But having said that, I am very happy with all the useful info that one can get on this site from pros and semi-pros!!!
Mikael A is offline   Reply With Quote