Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1

I am planning on taking a couple of photography courses at the local Community College and need some advice on a Canon film camera. I currently use an EOS 20D and 40D with several lenses for them. The first photography course works with film and processing. I would like to make use of my EF lenses so which film camera would be good? I found an EOS 3000 kit camera for $50, but not being familiar with film cameras????

Thanks,
Mike
[email protected]
Alfdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:18 AM   #2

I think anyCanon EOS SLR will work with any Canon EF mount lens, but EF-S lenses are designed for APS-C dSLRs and so won't work on film SLRs.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

So the Canon EOS 3000 should suit you well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

There are a ton of used Canon film cameras about. If I were looking for one, I'd rather get a top-grade used camera than a new 3000.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:54 AM   #4

I checked eBay, and from what I can see, $50 for an EOS 3000 is a reasonable price. The 3000 was the bottom-of-the-line model, and there are better grades available for the same price, but they're older. I think the 3000 is a good choice since you'll only be using it for the class and don't need something that might take you a while to master.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5

I was at my neighborhood Samy's Camera yesterday and saw a Canon Elan II that appears to have controls similiar to the 20D and 40D as far as the modes. Might be a good choice??

Mike
Alfdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:31 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It really doesn't matter. On your course you will be learning about aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

All the rest is fluff.

As long as it's light-tight and has a built-in meter it will be fine.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:34 AM   #7
Super Moderator

This is one of the times where you won't get a lot of difference at all by getting a higher end model as the film will affect the final result in the same way with all of the cameras as will the glass so you are not worrying about how will it handles high ISO etc. Also the continuous shoot speed is not highly important as I'm sure you will be using single shot, the only things that might make a difference is the AF performance but again for the sort of thing being covered in the sort of lessons you will have should be pretty basic...... oh and you are getting full 35mm so welcome to the world of shallower dof.

So if it meters well and focuses well then it will not make any difference in the class.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote