Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:24 PM   #1

I want a DSLR with in camera IS. I find both of these models to fit my needs. I'm not going to lie so I might as well say that I'm the kind of person that will buy the kit and stick with it. I don't plan on going out and spending $1k+ on lenses. I just want a good walk around lens. I've been looking over for what seems forever and I'd like to know what you guys think. They both seem to have about the same stats so which way would you go?
ToiletDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

ToiletDuck wrote:
Quote:
I want a DSLR with in camera IS. I find both of these models to fit my needs. I'm not going to lie so I might as well say that I'm the kind of person that will buy the kit and stick with it. I don't plan on going out and spending $1k+ on lenses. I just want a good walk around lens. I've been looking over for what seems forever and I'd like to know what you guys think. They both seem to have about the same stats so which way would you go?
I can't help out with the choice of two as I've not had practical experience of them however I write as I had to laugh at the not planning to go out and my extra lenses...... I think we were all there once. But in the Pentax forum you often find people talking about LBA (Lens Buying Addiction - is that right guys??) and it hits us all to some extent or another so be aware you could see your bank balance start going down.

Happy hunting and I look forward to seeing the results for whichever option you decide on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:43 PM   #3

If you really want a dSLR that you won't ever buy additional lenses for, the Sony kit lens has a slightly longer zoom range than the Pentax kit lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:23 PM   #4

I shoot Pentax and have been very happy with them. The Sony seems to be a very good camera also. There are some feature differences that might be important to some, but not to others.

The K200 is weather sealed. It's also heavier (by a couple of ounces/48g) - not a huge amount but could be significant to some people.

The A300 offers live view, while the K200 does not. The viewfinder is smaller - .74x magnification, while the K200 is.85. That could easily be a deal-breaker for some like me - I spend a lot of time looking through the viewfinder and I want things as large and clear as possible. Some will find the LCD live view a viable alternative, but I take lots of pictures outdoors and have always found LCDs hard to see clearly in bright light. The A300 has a tilt LCD (useful for live view) while the K200 doesn't need one since it doesn't have live view.

K200 has 11 focus points, the A300 has 9. Notsure that's very significant, while 3 vs. 11 is.

A300 offers ISO 3200 while the K200 only goes to ISO 1600. I wonder just how useful the 3200 is on the A300 - the sensor is pretty noisy (I've heard that both cameras use the same Sony sensor that is in the K10). This might be important to some, but I doubt I'd be happy with the noise and would probably never use it.

The K200 has a top viewscreen while the A300 does not. That's something I really like - it's easy to just glance at the top of the camera to see various settings. But it's a minor thing.

The K200 offers Sv mode (you choose the ISO while the camera chooses the aperture and shutter speed). When I got the K10, I figured this would not be very useful, but after a few days of playing around with the camera, I've used it a lot. I pretty much leave the camera set to auto ISO and specify 100-800 for the range, then have Sv usually set to 1600. That way I can quickly change to 1600 if I want it.

One feature that the K200 has that I really love is the dust alert system. I'm not real impressed with the dust removal system (dust isn't a big issue to me), but the dust alert system is really nice (shows you where the dust is, and also if the couple of puffs of air from the hand blower got it all off). While it's not absolutely necessary, I've used it quite a bit and find it much more useful than the removal tool.

Lenses are personal things and it depends on what you want to use the camera for. Some people would find the kit lens with the Pentax too short, while others would be perfectly happy with it. If I were never going to get another lens, I think I would choose something with longer range, but that's just me (some wouldn't be happy with it because it's not wide enough). There are all kinds of options out there that would be other possibilities for both cameras.

P.S. Yes - LBA is Lens Buying Addiction, and is a serious condition. It can strike any camera owner, but seems to afflict Pentax owners more than some - with all those wonderful, used lenses that will work with our cameras - ebay and Craig's List become likea candy store is to a child. Or perhaps like a grand amusement park with new things to discover all the time. Your fun limited only by your budget...

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote