Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2008, 5:48 PM   #1

I want to figure out a good camera and lense to take pictures of my kids sports. Anything from football, rodeo, softball, basketball... I currently have a D40 and I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to sell it. great camera but not for buying compatible lenses for sports or action shots. I also want to take portraits and misc. pictures of kids and family. I would like to stay under $1000. Any suggestions?
jweehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2008, 8:02 PM   #2

If want to take pictures in daylight or very well lit venues, you could probably use almost any of the current entry level dslr's with zoom lenses.

I would lean toward the Sony A200 because it has image stabilization and a longer than average kit lens for $599.

If you want to take pictures in dim lighting, you will need a very fast lens. Some of the other guys on this forum can give you better information than I can on what is available within your budget.

The one bridge camera that might meet your requirements is the Fuji S100FS, which hasn't been out on the market too long. The one review I saw said it was a very good camera with the one exception being its heavy chromatic aberration in some images.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3

The D40 and its siblings, the D40X and D60, have an autofocus system that really isn't up to what's necessary for sports. Any of the others would do better.

For indoor sports, like basketball, you'll really need a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.0 or better. Nikon and Canon both have 85mm f/1.8 lenses for about $400, and Canon has a 100mm f/2.0 for a little more. These are great for indoor sports, and equivalent lenses for Pentax, Sony and Olympus are very expensive.

If you really want to shoot basketball, or other indoor sports like volleyball or wrestling, you should really consider a Canon or a better Nikon. If you can live without it, then I agree that a Sony would be an excellent choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 8:42 AM   #4

If I would go with the Nikon or Canon and the 85mm f/1.8, would that work for the outside shots of softball and rodeo also?
jweehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 9:23 AM   #5

jweehler wrote:
Quote:
If I would go with the Nikon or Canon and the 85mm f/1.8, would that work for the outside shots of softball and rodeo also?
No. 70-200 is good for rodeo and usable for softball if you're in the dugout or on the field - if behind the fence you'll want 300mm
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote