Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2008, 9:11 AM   #1

Is the Kodak Z712 worth the price difference of Z612.The Z612 is about $20.00 cheaper and has printer dock.:?
gmg1130g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 8:44 PM   #2

I don't know anything about the Z612, but the z712 seems pretty nice, though I like the z812IS much better.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 9:34 PM   #3

gmg1130g wrote:
Quote:
Is the Kodak Z712 worth the price difference of Z612.The Z612 is about $20.00 cheaper and has printer dock.:?
The Z612 is an extremely nice 2.5 yr. old camera. I have one and you can see a number of my pics in the Kodak forum. Forget about the printer dock - the extra value item in the Z612 package is the KLIC-8000 rechargeable and matching charger.

That said the Z712, in my opinion is the best of the Z*12s pending judgement on the Z1012. It has the best high ISO performance of any 1/2.5 sensor camera around with a useable ISO 800. You will see noise but you will also see detail. It also is the first Kodak to use SDHC card and has an in-camera panoramic capability. It's been on the market about a year.

To that the Z812 adds another megapixel to the sensor, a debatable face recognitionfunction and HD video. Don't buy any Z*12 as a video camera, the video should be considered an emergency function as in when your camcorder fails.

If you're getting them cheap enough by the Z612 for the battery/charger, keeping the camera as a backup and buy the Z712. IMHO only.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4

I appreciate the info.Thanks a lot
gmg1130g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 2:01 AM   #5

I have a Z712 and I'm very pleased with it. I've had it about a year, and I've taken approx 7000 shots. I've followed the 612/712/812 discussions here throughout, and I agree with ac.smith that I was fortunate to buy a 712, when intendingto buy a 612 in my friendly local camera shop. I'm glad of the extra pixels when I crop images. The electronic viewfinder and image stabiliser are wonderful. Size, weight and value for money are remarkable.

That shop is recommending and selling lots of Z812s, with one going before my eyes the last twice I've been in there. Make sure you get a couple of Li-ion batteries & charger. The KLIC-8000 (or cheaper direct substitutes) are best, but 'rechargeable CR-V3' are OK. That's what I have.

There are a lot of example pictures around here, especially recently in the 'Kodak' forum nearby.

ac.smith is absolutely correct about the video. I tried it once on the Z712 and have never touched it since. This weekI bought a Samsung D371W DVC camcorder for ukĀ£149, (~$300) and it is excellent,including sound just as good as my Hi8 Video8 camcordersmany times the dimensions and weight and cost.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 2:15 AM   #6

Double post, sorry
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote