Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2008, 5:29 PM   #1

I'm looking to uprgrade from my DSC-W55. I have always been in love with Canon cameras. I was planning on getting the Canon SD1100 for a while, but then I just saw the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150. The SD1100 has 3x optical zoom while the Sony has 5x optical zoom.

What would you recommend? I don't care about price because in that aspect they are basically the same. Which camera has the edge when it comes to features? Input and opinions are wanted. Thanks.
Kitkat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:47 PM   #2

Bump, I'm going through the same predicament, W150 refurbished on Sony site is 110 while I've been looking for an SD1100is for so long but the price still has not dropped. W150 has the 5x optical zoom but the SD has the fast startup time that I like. Any help?
nuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:30 PM   #3

Canon cameras are always technically very sound and have very clear menus. Sony cameras are very sound also but have their own style of menus which can be confusing. When it comes to picture quality, in my opinion Canon's colors have an emphasis on blue and green, while Sony's colors are more natural.
Compare these sample pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_sd1100_is
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_w150
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:19 PM   #4

Natural would be better right? I think menus can be learned easily. Plus, Pro Duo cards are getting cheap--there's a MicroSD to Pro Duo adapter available. I will check both of these cameras out at a store soon.

My biggest concerns are storage media and startup-to-shot times. I've tried the SD1100 once and it had an amazingly quick startup.
nuron is offline   Reply With Quote