Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2008, 9:00 PM   #1

I've owned Nikons all my life. I'm now going digital. Since all my Nikon lenses a NOT fit for digital cameras, it should no be a deciding factor, and I could go either way: Nikon or Canon. I've been wanting to buy a Nikon D80, but now that the Canon Xsi came out, I need to know if it's worth going Canon. Please advise ASAP!!!

Thanks,

Raul
ProLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 4:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

This is a very difficult one to choose and I'm sure you will not be disappointed with either option. I would personally suggest going and handling them as this is probably going to be one of the biggest differentiators rather than the features (for me the D80 has always been more comfortable than the xxxD series of cameras). The only real thing the 450 has over the 80 is live view. The 80 has options for slightly higher ISO and a very slightly larger viewfinder. Oh obviously the 450 has a higher pixel count but for normal shooters you won't need anything over 8mp so the rest is a bonus. Also unless you are printing very large then again there is nothing to notice the difference. The dSLR's I use are 8mp, 10mp and 12.8mp, the latter two being used for my professional work with the former as backup.... so basically don't get bogged down by the pixel count.

I wouldn't like to make this choice, as I've said go and play with them and see which works best for you and I think on handling alone it will be the Nikon (btw, I'm a Canon man but always want people to get the best kit for them).

Now probably this question should have been further up but what sort of things do you want to shoot as the body is not the only factor in this, the glass you choose will have a huge affect on the results.

Hopefully some more members will jump in with their opinions and let us know how you get on. When you have the camera don't be a stranger, post in the photo sections and in the specific manufacturer sections to learn how to get the most of your new kit. This is where I've learnt a lot of what I now know over the years, allowing me to make a part of my living from photography.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 4:42 AM   #3

I'm curious as to why you say your current lenses are not fit for digital. The D80 accepts most old Nikon mount lenses.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 7:41 AM   #4

I agree with Mark1616 that both the Nikon D80 and the Canon XSi are fine cameras, and since you seem to be starting from scratch, either would work well. But the biggest distinguishing characteristic would be how they feel when you hold and use them. So you should go somewhere and try them out.

But, likeNagasaki, I am puzzled by why you say that your current lenses aren't suitable for this transition. My stepson just bought a Nikon D300 and is using all the lenses his late father had for his Nikon F.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:11 AM   #5
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
But, likeNagasaki, I am puzzled by why you say that your current lenses aren't suitable for this transition. My stepson just bought a Nikon D300 and is using all the lenses his late father had for his Nikon F.
If they're older manual focus lenses, you would not have metering on a D80 with them.

Also, if they are not AI (Auto Indexing) lenses, you should not even mount them on a D80. Here is someone that does AI conversions. But, even if you converted them so they're safe to mount, you still wouldn't have metering with a D80.

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

The least expensive current Nikon model that will meter with non-CPU lenses is the D200 (the newer D300 and D3 will also meter with them). But, you'd be shooting blind with the entry level models (for example, the D40, D40x, D60, D50, D70, D70s and D80 will not meter with a non-CPU lens). With those models, you'd have to estimate exposure or use a separate meter.

You can see more information on lens compatiblity here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Now, you can use a third party Nikkor F mount to Canon EF mount lens adapter on the entry level Canon dSLR models with older Nikkor Manual Focus lenses and have metering.

Here's an example of an inexpensive adapter ($27.95) to let them work on a Canon DSLR body (and you'd have metering, too). No conversion would be needed with this adapter and you could use them on any Canon DSLR model (even the entry level XT, XTi, or XSi models) and still have metering. Just set the Aperture Ring to the desired Aperture on the lens and the meter is live in the camera if you shoot in manual exposure or aperture priority modes. The camera won't know the aperture you set with it (but doesn't matter for metering since it just needs to find the correct shutter speed for proper exposure for the amount of light it's seeing)

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...roducts_id=718

Thom Hogan has a chart showing earlier Nikon models that can meter with AI type Manual Focus lenses (and it's best to convert them to AI if they're not that way already). Note the "Lens Support" row in the table:

http://www.bythom.com/olddslr.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 10:54 PM   #6

Mark,

Thanks for your answer ans thoughts... I agree on the lens issue: the body is only part of the equation.

My first 35mm camera was a Nikon F (circa 1964), which I still have. I also have a few F mount lenses I used with that camera. My last 35mm camera was the N90. Been an orthodontist, I take dozens of pictures every day, so, in the mid 90's, I went digital in my office, but kept my film camera for my hobby. Now, I think my mind is set and I'll go for the Nikon D80!!!

My next issue is this one: which Nikon lenses are worth spending money on?

Raul
Old May 6, 2008, 10:58 PM   #7

The lenses I have were made for the Nikon F camera. I understand they don't be able to work properly on the D80. Right?
Old May 7, 2008, 6:05 AM   #8
Administrator

If they are manual focus, you would not have metering with them on a D80.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 12:32 AM   #9

Sorry to chime in, but my question is the same.

I'll be shooting birds and wildlife (at least I want to) but also flowers and nature in general.

The big choice for me is:
Nikon D80 - 18-55 and 70-300 both VR
Or
Canon XSI 18-55 and 70-300 IS USM.
(and a 50/f1.8 for both)

Both are about equal in price, but it is more a Canon vs Nikon lenses really, even if I can't afford any for a while...

The canon 70-300 seems to be much better value, but maybe in real life, I won't notice any big difference?
Also, I will likely want to use ISO 800 and maybe 1600, and it seems as if the XSI is doing better than the D80 in that respect too. Any opinions?
lofling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 1:16 AM   #10

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/iso-comp...7-11/index.htm

Maybe it is just pixel-peeping, the "high" noise of the D80.

Far more important for me, anyway, is the difference in glass I can get. But most likely, my technique will limit me... With that said, the Canon or Nikon system for a reasonable budget with 70-300 lenses?

lofling is offline   Reply With Quote