Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2008, 1:18 AM   #1

Hi all,

Someone has offered to sell me a Sony A100 with the 18-70 kit lens, and the Tamron 75-300 APO lens (f/4.5-5.6 or something like that), for $450. Condition's fine.

Thoughts? I'm basically just looking for something to cut my teeth on for the next 6 months, but I won't bother unless it's a really good deal. (My preference would be for the D80)... Anyway, I'm dying for second opinions... ! Thank you

Art
artschool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2008, 7:45 AM   #2

That is a good deal.

But is it a good deal for you?

When you buy a dSLR, you're committing to a system. To be sure, the Sony A100 is a fine camera, and the kit lens and the Tamron 75-300 APO are good lenses for the money. But as you find that the kinds of photos you want to take are beyond what those lenses are capable of, can you find lenses and accessories for the A100 that will fulfill your need? ... and can you afford them?

Sony's selection of lenses is good, but it's not up to what is available for dSLRs from other companies. And while some of the lenses available for the Sony A100 are very good (maybe even the best in their classes), they can be very expensive.

For instance, lenses appropriate for indoor sports are a lot less expensive for Canon and Nikon dSLRs than they are for Sony dSLRs. And Canon and Nikon dSLRshave wider choicesof lenses for outdoor sports and for wildlife, than do Sony dSLRs.

What types of photography do you want to do?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 7:54 AM   #3

One of the things that you do when you buy a dSLR is buy into a system. If you get the A100, then 6 months later decide to upgrade, it's no big deal to buy an A700 - your only cost is the price of the camera. However, you say your preference is for the D80. That means you'd have to sell your Sony lenses and buy all new lenses, just to match what you have.

If your intention is to get the Sony, then gradually upgrade with more expensive/better Sony or Minolta lenses and bodies, then it's a good move. But if your ultimate goal is to get a Nikon later on, be aware that you'll have added costs/steps (selling the Sony lenses) to go through.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks a lot guys. Those are good points. I'm going to think it over...
Old May 6, 2008, 1:08 PM   #5
Administrator

If you can stretch that budget a bit more, you may want to consider buying a better body to begin with.

The Sony A200 kit is only $599 now including an 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT Autofocus lens. It's got lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased, higher available ISO speeds, as well as a faster Autofocus System as compared to the A100. Then, add lenses to it as budget permits, after you have a chance to use the camera for a while and can make a better informed decision on lenses you want for the type of shooting you do more often.

A lens like that Tamron is not worth a lot. You can pick up that grade of lens for under $100 used (and not much more brand new) in Minolta AF mount (and the Sony can use Minolta AF mount lenses). Here's an example:

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro AF Lens w/hood and caps in EX condtion from keh.com for $56.00

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 3:58 PM   #6

Hmm, thanks Jim. Compounding the dilemma is that where I live the Sony a200 18-70 kit is on sale for $500! And that's assuming I even want the Sony versus other options.

I did go ahead and buy that package, though. A remote, circ. polarizer, and two UV filters (one Hoya, one B+W) were thrown in.

Considering my purpose, which does not yet involve building a collection of lenses, only getting a feel for an SLR, I thought the saved money was worth it. By the time I'm ready to make an informed decision (say, 6 months) I'm hoping I can resell this for a reasonable % of my original cost, given its sheer functionality. I'm still a bit torn though.

Thanks again for the advice, looking forward to following this forum more regularly
Old May 8, 2008, 4:03 PM   #7
Administrator

That's a very good camera, and you should be very pleased with the image quality at most ISO speeds (although you'll probably want to avoid it's highest setting unless absolutely necessary).

Then, in 6 months, just upgrade to the latest and greatest 24.6 Megapixel Sony full frame Flagship model if needed (which will be shipping by then). Of course, it might be a bit pricey. ;-)

Make sure to share some photos, and if you have any questions on lenses, etc., just visit our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote