Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I need a good point and shoot that has good video quality.

I do a lot of video blogging on youtube and I run a outdoors, camping, hiking, wilderness survival, gardening site.

To give everyone an idea of the types of video I shoot, here are some links to my most recent videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8u6xhj9VI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Vcf3LTk58

The camera I am using right now is a Sony WS-5. Its about 2 1/2 years old, takes pictures up to 5 Megapixel and the videos are in 640X480. When played in windows media player, you can see a lot of pixeling. The video quality on youtube is terrible.

I need a good camera that will not break the pocket book. And I need a camera that is not a whimp. That sony has been dropped several times, been on below freezing hunting trips, its been left outside unprotected in the night air, its been in misting rain and has hung in there.

These are not your high school prom kinda pictures. They are 4 - 12 mile hikes and over night camping trips kind of pictures.

AA baterries would be nice, as I can swap them between my GPS and flashlights. Special batteries should be avoided.

I would really like a zoom feature while videoing, something my current sony lacks.

I need a camera that can go where I go and take pictures and videos.

Lets put a price of about $200 - $300 on this project.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2008, 3:20 PM   #2

Have you asked this question here?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=92
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 3:34 PM   #3

Oops, I might have posted this in the wrong section.

But if I post it again that is called double posting and some admins dont like that kind of stuff.

Maybe a moderator can move the post for me? But then again, I did not see a "What kind of camera should I buy" section in the point and shoots.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 5:08 PM   #4

I suggested that forum because the majority of those contributorsuse cameras that seem to be similar to your requirements. Most of the rest of the forums aremainly populated by still photographers. You seem most interested in video.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 6:13 PM   #5

the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 allow zoom during videos as does the Kodak Z712. i am reading good things about the video and pic quality in the panasonics.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote