Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2008, 4:57 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Cool, I will have to do some digging around.... as you can see I'm really out of touch with this part of the market!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Anyone for some advice on a dSLR or Sports shooting LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 4:58 PM   #12
Administrator

P.S.

My favorite point and shoot camera is *still* the Konica Revio KD-510z, a 5MP pocketable camera model. Sorry, the zoom range is only equivalent to around 39-117mm. But, the redeye (and you should probably call it "demon eye") is pretty bad. So, plan on spending some time fixing images if you use a flash. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:01 PM   #13
Super Moderator

LOL, well where is the fun of not doing some PP. I think all P&S cams will suffer from this and I rarely used red eye reduction as slows things down and people think you've already taken the shot.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:22 PM   #14
Administrator

You may also want to look at the new DIWA Labs tests for it. Interestingly, it's got better Dynamic Range compared to some of the Olympus dSLR models like the Olympus E-510, even though both cameras are using a Panasonic sensor and the TZ5's sensor is much smaller, despite the DR issues I've seen in reviews. Some of the other point and shoot models also outperform this Olympus dSLR model (so, I wouldn't read too much into that).

If you click on a camera model, you'll see a page with test results (and you can download .pdf files for individual sections that have more detail than you'll see in the online charts).

http://www.diwa-labs.com/wip4/test_result.epl

Of course, the Signal to Noise ratio chart can be influenced by noise reduction and you'll need to take retained detail into consideration. So, that one can be very misleading.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing many real world photos from this model yet on photo sharing sites, so that you can see how it performs in the field.

Old May 7, 2008, 5:26 PM   #15
Super Moderator

In another thread on the Pana section Greg Chappell kindly posted a link to some of his which are full size which really helped, for anyone reading this and would like to see them I'm sure he won't mind http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...89057175_7WWYy
Old May 7, 2008, 7:59 PM   #16
Administrator

Those look a bit too contrasty (or Dynamic Range in real world conditions is worse than the DIWA labs tests would lead you to believe). For example, you are losing facial detail to shadows in some of the images with horses on the second page, despite some blown highlights where you find lighter portions. One row with a photo of the horse at the end seems to exhibit the same type of thing (too much contrast causing loss of detail in shadow areas, even when the lighting doesn't look as harsh). You could probably adjust some of that kind of behavior via camera settings though.

Old May 8, 2008, 11:55 AM   #17

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that, so basically I've been spoilt so have to come back to reality for a P&S. The sound clips I've heard have been fine for what I want so that is OK.
Could you tell me what clips satisfied you regarding sound quality on the TZ5? I'm thinking of buying it and that's just about my only gripe.

Thanks.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 2:21 PM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Those look a bit too contrasty (or Dynamic Range in real world conditions is worse than the DIWA labs tests would lead you to believe). For example, you are losing facial detail to shadows in some of the images with horses on the second page, despite some blown highlights where you find lighter portions. One row with a photo of the horse at the end seems to exhibit the same type of thing (too much contrast causing loss of detail in shadow areas, even when the lighting doesn't look as harsh). You could probably adjust some of that kind of behavior via camera settings though.
Part of what you are seeingcan be attributed tome over-doing thepost processing where I made contrast/Levels adjustmentsin Photoshop along with it just being a very bright,contrasty day anyway to start with. None of them are what came straight out of the camera. Simply accepting what comes out of the camera would probablyget things more in line with the DIWA results you are talking about. I'm sure that's what they did in their testing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 2:37 PM   #19
Administrator

Thanks Greg.. I couldn't help but wonder if they were Post Processed a bit to add a bit of punch. Now I know the answer.

Old May 8, 2008, 2:42 PM   #20
Administrator

P.S. My impression from the few photos I've browsed through is that the metering is probably leaning towards protecting the highlights a bit more, too. So, that may also be part of what I'm seeing (underexposing the rest of the image a tad so that you're not blowing the sky and brighter areas in lighting that harsh, which increasing contrast in PP may exaggerate a bit). Unfortunately, you can't choose the weather for that kind of thing. ;-)