Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2008, 6:17 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a Panasonic TX5 as a convenient camera to take where my dSLR's are too bulky and not practical. I'm just wondering after looking at the sample shots if I'm being too picky. I use a Canon 5D and 1D mkIII as my main cameras so I know I'm not going to get the same quality but are the results of the TZ5 (noise etc) what I would expect from a P&S?

The main reasons I'm looking at the TZ5 is the zoom (28 wide equiv and 280 long) as well as HD video which is a bonus.

Help!!!

Thanks,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 8:00 AM   #2

I have no personal experience with the TZ5 but a frequent contributor to these forums, mtclimber (Sarah Joyce Weber) thinks very highly of the camera and chose it as her walk around camera for her latest cruise. She has posted some test pics you should be able to find if you search on her username.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 8:03 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks,

I've seen sarah's posts but you can never tell anything from images reduced that far. I've looked at quite a few full size images and just wanted to know if this is what I should be expecting.

Another question is there seems to be quite a bit of noise reduction, can this be controlled/reduced/turned off so I can use noiseware which will do a lot better job?

Mark

Old May 7, 2008, 9:13 AM   #4

Here is DPReview's test: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

Based on what I can read there and in Panasonics own site neither adjustments on noise reduction nor RAW are available on the TZ5.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 1:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I wasn't worried about RAW as only ever use it as a backup at weddings but the noise reduction looks a little like a painting so wouldn't mind getting rid of that.

Again, it goes back to the question is this sort of quality about right for a camera of that standard thus am I expecting too much?
Old May 7, 2008, 2:54 PM   #6

Yes, it is about right. The TZ5's image quality is on par with Canon's top A-series and even S-series cameras, such as the A650 IS and S5 IS.

The only downside that I can see is the alleged sub-par sound recording quality.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 3:02 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanks for that, so basically I've been spoilt so have to come back to reality for a P&S. The sound clips I've heard have been fine for what I want so that is OK.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:11 PM   #8
Administrator

Another thing you may want to consider is lack of manual exposure, since you like to use techniques like dragging the shutter for flash exposure. This model is also missing a viewfinder if that's important to you (and I don't know how good it's LCD would be for use in harsher lighting).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 3:26 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks Jim, I had spotted the limitations on the settings but I think I have convinced myself that for the times when i will use this then that is not an issue, I'm really looking for something that can easily go everywhere with me and fit in a pocket or on my belt.Another use is I feel quite conscious of having the 5D or 1D mkIII with something like the 70-200 f2.8 on for a few reasons so this might make me use a camera more in certain areas where we are out and about with crowds of crazy people around. When out with friends the high quality is not essential as I usually won't print but nice to get some shots etc.

I did have a quick play with one in a shop although they knew the sum total of nothing about it so just had a couple of mins with it, and the screen seems pretty good.

I think I will try and get my hands on one for a while longer before ordering. The crazy thing is (as usual) in the local stores it's £300 but online I can get it for £200.... hmmmm wonder what I will do???!!!! LOL
Old May 7, 2008, 3:55 PM   #10
Administrator

There may be a work around or two for the settings issues. I suspect that a scene mode could probably duplicate most things you'd do (for example, a night portrait or similar mode somewhere may help out, coupled with a setting I see for the slowest shutter speed the Auto Exposure algorithms should use). You'd have to research the available options to see how flexible it would be.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote