Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2008, 7:15 AM   #11
Super Moderator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I would still go with something smaller and lighter (Not to mention cheaper. That way you're not out very much incase it gets dropped.), but you pose a situation where the Sony would excel beyond the Canon.

Image stabilization is designed to correct image blur due to camera shake. Put a camera on a motorcycle, and you'd be inducing a not insignificant amount of camera shake. The Sony uses sensor shift image stabilization in the camea body, so it's available for any lens. The Canon uses optical image stabilization in certain lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

That would do it for me.
Except that the XSI now comes with the 18-55 IS lens as its kit lens. So there is no extra cost, and it is a very very sharp little lens.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1114/cat/11

Non-IS v new IS
190g v 200g
66mm x 69mm v 70mm x 68.5mm.

Bet you couldn't tell them apart blindfolded. :blah:

I think you're going to have to change your standard advice to avoid the Canon entry level DSLR because it doesn't have IS.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 1:27 PM   #12

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
...The Canon uses optical image stabilization in certain lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier, and more expensive.
Except that the XSI now comes with the 18-55 IS lens as its kit lens. So there is no extra cost, and it is a very very sharp little lens.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1114/cat/11

Non-IS v new IS
190g v 200g
66mm x 69mm v 70mm x 68.5mm.

Bet you couldn't tell them apart blindfolded. :blah:

I think you're going to have to change your standard advice to avoid the Canon entry level DSLR because it doesn't have IS.
The Canon uses optical image stabilization in certain lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

I congratulate Canon on their new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, but it is just one lens, and it is bigger, heavier and more expensive. [suB]:-)[/suB]

And I beleive that I have, on mulitple ocassions, pointed out the advantages of optical image stabilization when it might matter (eg.: extension tubes, teleconverters, stabilized image in the viewfinder.) [suB]:roll:[/suB]

And I believe I have openly envied Canon (and Nikon)for it's (their) selection of lenses.[suB] [/suB][suB][/suB]

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 4:52 AM   #13

Chose the Sony A300. It's on it's way. Now I just have to sell the Old Rebel.
thewingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 6:26 AM   #14
Administrator

Great choice. Congrats!

Make sure to share some photos, and if you have any questions on lenses, etc., just visit our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 9:42 PM   #15

the sony would have been my choice for the in-camera image stabilization AND for the articulating live-view lcd. in fact, i am still considering the sony because pentax does not yet have the articulating lcd. please let us know how you like the sony.

ellen fl

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 6:54 AM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Great choice. Congrats!

Make sure to share some photos, ...
... especially photos taken from the motorcycle!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 5:25 AM   #17

This is a one sweet camera. So far I love it.
thewingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 7:23 AM   #18
Administrator

Super! I figured you'd like it. Most people trying the newer Sony models seem to really like them (especially if they've used another dSLR before, so they have something to compare them with).

Old May 12, 2008, 7:59 AM   #19

i bought the sony a300 this weekend as well. hopefully, since the price was too good to be true, it WILL come with a battery. that is really all that i ask. sell it to me working! reseller ratings gave the store a good rating and i bought thru amazon so i am hopeful!

i wanted to buy it body only but it is not sold that way so i got the 2 kit lenses (18-70 & 55-200).

ellen fl

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 8:19 AM   #20
Administrator

Please let us know how you like it, and how it compares to your Pentax.

That A300 two lens kit has been selling for $799.99 lately ($100 off) at number of vendors. For example, Circuitcity.com is still showing it for that price. Even sonystyle.com had it for $799.99 through the 10th as part of a Mother's Day Sale (but, they just raised the price back to $899.99).

If you got it for much less than $799.99 (and it's not gray market gear not intended for sale in the U.S.), then you did good (if you actually get it with no catches).