Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2008, 8:10 PM   #1

Hi guys, I'm new to this community.

I am a hardcore nature, wildlife lover but not an enthusiast or professional wildlife photographer.

Taking wildlife photos is my hobby.

This time I've decided to buy a good digital camera.
My budget is 20000 Rs at the most.

I need a good Digicam in this budget, so plz advice me which camera will be most suitable for my hobby photography.

I like the following cameras but you can suggest any other which u think is superior than these cameras.
  • Sony DSC H7

Sony DSC H50

Olympus SP570UZ

Panasonic FZ-18

Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd
power_8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 12:46 AM   #2

40 Views but not even a single reply ?:O
Old May 11, 2008, 2:57 PM   #3

Sorry to say it, but none of the above, if you care about your hobby and image quality
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 8:09 PM   #4

Then which camera u r going to suggest me ?
Old May 11, 2008, 8:33 PM   #5

"My budget is 20000 Rs"

Can you give us the equivalent in Euros or Dollars?

If you're "hard core" then any DSLR with a long lens will provide better IQ than the cameras under consideration.

If your market is such the a DSLR is out of the question then any of the mentioned cameras will produce very similar results.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 12:17 AM   #6

I have used a Pentax K10D for nearly a year, and I can find no fault with it. When I bought it I considered only DSLR cameras as I have a digital point and shoot, a digicam, two old pentax film cameras, and a few pentax manual lenses. I read on forums that the Pentax lenses were very good, and I had found that to be true with using film, so I already had an investment in part of the equipment I would need to go DSLR. That probably was the point that convinced me to acquire the K10D.

Nevertheless, starting DSLR from scratch, I believe you cannot go wrong with the K10D. Its kit lens, the 18-55, is inexpensive, and I find it to be quite good. My old manual lenses work fine, but not with automatic functions. Still, having used the K10D with manual lenses, I must say i would as soon shoot that way as with fully automatic lenses. I believe I take more time to get the procedures done correctly, knowing the camera is not just going to try to be my brain.

You will want to have a good 50mm f/2.0 or better lens. You will want a good 35mm f/2.8 lens. And, for wildlife, you will want a 300mm capability, whether fixed for the best clarity, or a zoom for flexibility. If you will want to do portraits, you wuill need an additional lightweight fixed or zoom lens that will be capable of shooting 85mm to 135mm.

I have sold lenses on Ebay, and try to honestly describe the defects, if any, in what I sell. But, there are a lot of sellers who will knowingly sell lenses that are faulty. Before you buy lenses on Ebay, be sure the description covers everything about the lens. Then, if faulty, send it right back for a refund. Sellers may say the lens is clean, no haze, no lfungus, but, when you get it the objective lens may be scratched. If they did not say it was like mint, or like new, or perfect, they still have not misrepresented the lens, but they have not fully described it, and they have not put themself in a position to have to take the lens back. So be very carefull.

Your best bet is to buy from a dealer you trust absolutely, or to go to a store with your camera and run a lens through its paces, even comparing two or three possible lenses at the same time.

I recently went to a store when I needed a 300mm lens. They had two within my price range, a Tamron and a Pentax, both well used. I took a tripod and my camera with me and sat in the store with the lenses mounted to shoot a clock about 60 feet away on a wall. I shot at a variety of apertures and magnifications. There was a noticeable difference in the sharpness I could get, as proved by prints of the tests off my computer when I returned to my home. I ended up buying neither, and instead bought a Tamron Adaptall II, 60-300mm SP f/3.8--f/5.4 with Macro capability. It was fully described on Ebay, so I felt safe buying it. My cost, including freight, was $105, and that included the Adaptal Adapter which I may use on other Tamron lenses. The lens is in great condition, and does the work I expected from it. Most of my shots are on a tripod.

Having once been in the position you are in, I hope this relation of my experience will be of help to you.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 6:24 AM   #7

@ Smith

20000 Rs = 481.347 USD
20000 Rs = 311.612 EUR

@ Old Engineer

Thnx a ton for ur detailed words of experience brother but to be honest, I dont know most of the words you have written.

Let me clear one thing, I'm not going to assemble a Digicam like we do in case of Computers.
I just want to go to the shop and come with a good digicam in my hand.

I dont need any seperate lenses or any other enhancements.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:47 AM   #8

I'd go with the cameras with the longest zooms - the Panasonic FZ18, the Olympus SP570UZ or the Fuji S8100. I don't think there's much of a difference among them.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9

You can compare the cameras you're interested in, except the H50 here:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2082&ph=21

Be careful evaluating the photos as they don't hold conditions quite constant enough to use as absolute quality measures but they are indicators. The final screen of info is speed of various functions.

Yourperformance requirementsinclude a long telephoto capability, fast focusing at telephoto, fast focusing in poor light, and fast shot to shot performance.

The UZ570 has the longest telephoto reach followed by the FZ18. The H7 and FZ18 seem to be the quickest in the important speed areas. IQ, by in large seems to seems to be draw between all the cameras you have under consideration.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 7:46 PM   #10

@ Smith

Thanks a ton for that amazing, awesome site brother.
The site is really very helpful for the ppl like me.

Thnx again