Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2008, 8:44 PM   #1

i have an *ist ds but want to do an interim upgrade . . . i'm waiting for pentax to add an articulating live-view lcd. that is why i am not considering the k20d. i understand that the live view on the k20d is only usable with jpeg format. anyway, instead of getting the sony a300, which has everything i want in a dslr, i will wait for pentax to catch up. in the meantime i am looking for a bridge dslr that i can use my 6 pentax lenses with.

does anyone know what it means that the k200d only takes kaf2 lenses?

tia

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2008, 9:16 PM   #2

The K20's live view works with both raw and jpg - I just tried it with the camera set at raw+ (what I've beenusing recently)and it produced both a raw and a jpg file, so you've been mis-informed about having to use jpg with live view.

The K200 has the same mount that all the Pentax dSLR cameras have - you can use any Pentax lens with it, just like you can with the DS (including M42 lenses with an adapter). They work the same way as with the DS.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:56 PM   #3

Agreed, the K20D live view works with all the file modes. The camera doesn't have the articulated LCD, which would really be nice. However, the viewing angle on the LCD is very wide, so you can still see it at odd angles. One other thing is that the AF in live view is a pretty slow process. It's fine for set shots, but not for action.

If live view is a major factor, then you might want to wait for the K30D. Otherwise, I think the AF performance and image quality on the K20D are by far the best of any Pentax, and up there with more expensive cameras. The K20D is a little better at just about everything over the K10D. Coupled with the increased resolution at decreased noise, and high ISO capability, it's a significant upgrade.

If AF performance is important, the K200D seems to have the same improvements over the K10D that the K20D has, at least from the reports I've seen. I know firsthand how much better the K20D AF is over the K10D. The K10D is a fine camera, especially for the prices now. However, it does have some limitations.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 9:04 AM   #4

thanks for the response. is a k30d in the works? i emailed pentax about an articulating live-view lcd in the next camera but they did not reply.

i decided, for the price, to make my bridge camera the new sony a300 (instead of the fuji s100fs) until a new pentax is produced. if they don't, i may have to sell my pentax equipment, of which i have much.

[edit] i googled 'pentax k30d' and got all japanese or german sites, so apparently it is either the european version of the k20 or a new camera IS coming out . . . soon i hope.

ellen fl
Old May 16, 2008, 9:26 AM   #5
Administrator

I'd make sure to try out any Live View systems in a store. Most dSLR models have very poor live view implementations compared to a typical point and shoot model.

For example, look at the display refresh rate while comparing cameras (which can cause delays and smearing when moving the camera to point at something different), as well as how the Autofocus works (most will have to flip the mirror out of the way to focus with the camera's main AF sensors, then return to live view, slowing down the AF process and making it difficult to follow a moving subject Some models also allow the use of Contrast Detection AF via the main sensor which slows Autofocus down.

Most will also have LCD blackout using continuous mode, and most will be very poor in low light (due to the LCD refresh rate problems trying to use the main sensor, and/or the way they try to gain up the image from the camera's main sensor). The sensors used in dSLR models were just not designed to provide an image at a rapid frame rate for refreshing a display, and they're not as good as you may be used to with a non-dSLR model.

The Sony A300 and A350 are the only current dSLR models with what I'd consider to be a good Live View system right this minute. That's because Sony designed it with a separate Live View sensor that allows the image from the lens to go to both the Live View sensor and the camera's primary AF sensor assembly at the same time (and it will even give you Active Focus points from it's 9 point AF sensor on the LCD display) It's also got a tilting LCD (something missing on most other cameras with Live View.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 10:40 AM   #6

Hi Ellen

I don't have any knowledge of a K30D. I was just speaking generically of the next iteration of Pentax dSLRs. Sorry for the confusion.

Enjoy your new Sony. It looks like a fine camera in its own right. You can always come back to Pentax.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 1:46 PM   #7

thanks for the additional input about live-view. i have been using my pentax without live-view and doing pretty well with it but, on occasion, i want to be able to lower the camera to get a shot from waist or lower level. most of my bird shots are of birds on the ground and i like taking shots at their level. with that in mind, occasional use of the live-view feature should not be too tough.

that said . . . my sony a300 arrived just now! and it even came with a battery! in fact, the box is full with camera body, 2 lenses (18-70mm & 55-200mm), strap, battery and charger! i figured for $590 i would be missing something but it's all here! i do not expect super lenses but i want a 55-300mm or 28-300mm anyway so these will do for now.

whoo hoo! battery is charging here at my desk and i will try her out tonight when i get home (assuming the battery is charged by then). i LOVE getting new toys. :|

ellen fl
Old May 16, 2008, 1:53 PM   #8
Administrator

Congrats! I think you'll really like this new Sony camera, especially since you're not new to dSLR models, and have something to compare it's image quality and performance to.

Make sure to visit our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 11:56 AM   #9

i just posted first a300 pics/impressions in the konica-minolta/sony dslr forum. i will continue to opine on this camera in that forum as i learn the camera . . . and after i get the lens i want. i'm REALLY glad i got such a good deal as i did not want either of the lenses but could not buy the body alone (yet).

ellen fl
Old May 22, 2008, 2:50 PM   #10

k20d..vs canon xsi..vs sony d300..this is my issue now!! My preference is to have a clear bright ovf..live view is a bonus but for my needs isnt tops on my list...I plan to shoot street scenes and architecture/people at various angles and different natural lighting..night shots as well..no sports or wildlife/birds..
jageya is offline   Reply With Quote