Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2008, 11:27 AM   #1

I have lost my Canon S1 IS an I am looking to upgrade to an entry Digital SLR. I was looking at the Sony a200 or Pentax 200K as a good starter DSLR. I was shooting for built in image stabilizer.

But, my friend (who has all the latest toys) is offering to sell me his barely used Canon 30d with 18-70 lens for $400. This is probably much more camera than I need and a bit of a brick. But, it does seem like a really good deal on what is an expensive camera. Of course, then I am stuck with buying the more expensive IS lenses when I need. So, is the older professional canon (digic II) still better than the newer entry canons with the digic III processor?

Thanks,
Hotoru

More info about me if you want:
I use a camera to shoot pics of family and kids. What we use most is a Sanyo HD1. It is a decent all around hybrid that fits in purse (wifes) easily. The Canon S1 takes better pics but since is so bigI only occasionally bring to recitals / performances/ ballgames and places where car is nearby (that is what I I want the digital SLR to replace. I am still thinking of upgrading to a Sanyo HD1000 as the low light problem is the worst thing about the Sanyo Hd1.
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
... recitals / performances/ ballgames
This camera model will excel in these areas (although you'll probably need different lenses for low light without a flash, and you'll want a longer lens for the ballgames).

What lens is that again (the 18-70mm)? I'm not familiar with any 18-70mm lenses in Canon mount. Are you sure it's not a Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens (often packaged with the 30D in kits), or a Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens?

In any event, that's a great deal if it's in excellent condition (even if it were $400 for just a used 30D camera body with no lens). But, that's only a good deal if it doesn't break. lol That's the danger of used gear without any warranty. That partricular camera does have better build quality compared to the entry level dSLR models (designed for a bit heavier use compared to the entry level models from a shutter life expectancy, etc.). So, if it's in great shape without a lot of shutter actuations, that would improve the odds (and since you're saving a lot compared to a new model, even if you had something like a shutter failure costing you a few hundred bucks, you're probably not going to lose anything compared to buying a new one with a price that low on it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

A used EOS-30D with a lens (even with a low priced 18-55mm lens on it) is selling for almost $800 now at B&H (a reputable vendor of both new and used gear). Some vendors did have some great closeout prices on the 30D not long ago, so you could get a new one for almost the same price. But, AFAIK, everyone is out of new ones now.

Here's an example of a used 30D kit:

EOS-30D with 18-55mm lens for $779 at bhphotovideo.com

But, they also have a short term warranty on used gear:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...DeptReturn.jsp

Old May 12, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
... recitals / performances/ ballgames
snip....

What lens is that again (the 18-70mm)?* I'm not familiar with any 18-70mm lenses in Canon mount.** Are you sure it's not a Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens (often packaged with the 30D in kits), or a Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens?*
Thanks for the replies. I am probably off about the lens. I know he only has the canon lens that came packaged. It seems like a really good deal. Even if it is about twice the size/weight for which I was looking. So, last model pro dSLR trumps newer model entry dSLR?
Hotoru
Old May 12, 2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Administrator

IMO, yes (especially for low light use, where you may appreciate the higher available ISO speed of the 30D versus the entry level models like the Canon XT, XTi and XTs, that are limited to an ISO 1600 setting). The 30D also has a faster frame rate if you need it (5fps), and it's 8MP Sensor is more sensitive than rated anyway (for example, it's ISO 1600 is closer to ISO 2000), as compared to the higher resolution Canon dSLR models like the Xti and Xsi which do not appear to be more sensitive than rated).
Old May 12, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
IMO, yes (especially for low light use, where you may appreciate the higher available ISO speed of the 30D versus the entry level models like the ..sniip
I thank you for your time. I think I am going to take him up on the offer. Maybe I can get some good pics on the intercoastal on my next trip to Savannah :-)
Hotoru
Old May 12, 2008, 1:14 PM   #7
Administrator

$400 for a "barely used" 30D (especially if it's got a lens with it), sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If you go that route, make sure to post some photos from it, especially photos from Savannah. ;-)