Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2008, 5:00 AM   #1

I am confused over which camera I should choose between Panasonic's DMC TZ5 and Fuji's Finepix F100fd. The former has a greater zooming capabilities while the latter has better picture quality (owing toits bigger sensor size - SuperCCD).

Please help me out...
sasi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2

What do you want to take pictures of mainly? In what kind of lighting conditions? What is your experience with photography? Do you have a digital camera now? If so, why do you want to upgrade?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 2:13 AM   #3

I am not a professional, but I like to play with my camera every now and then... and especially during family or friends'get-togethers (during which the light conditions are dark most of the times) or like outdoor trips (normal daylight conditions)... I have a Canon A520 right now for the pasttwo and a half years (this is my total experience with photography)...

Reason for upgrade :I am planning to keep this one with my parents (coz they dont have one right now)...

In all, I want a good compact point-and-shoot camera with good picture quality (I guess thats what most of us simple souls want :-))... Of course, I do not have the Manual mode with either of the cameras I have zeroed in, to experiment... But I'll be happy enough even If I the shots I getwith the presets with the camera are good enough...

Comingto the TZ5, I was interested due to the iAuto, megazoom, 16:9 aspect ratio, zooming capability during movie capture... As with the F100fd, I was interested mainly due to the SuperCCD (I had seen the results in F30fd from a friend), and also due to its size/weight...

Can you please guide me now... I am more interested in the the portraits in the low-lightconditions and the landscapes in the daylight conditions...Please forgive me if I am making it difficult for you to help...:?

PS : You can make your own suggestions if you feel there is something better available...
Old May 14, 2008, 8:28 PM   #4

Panasonic is improving its picture quality at higher ISO's in ultra-zoom cameras, but I think almost everyone would tell you that the Fuji F100fd is better in low light. I won't tell you which to buy. The TZ5 is very compact for a camera with such a zoom range. If I were going to take pictures only in daylight, I might pick it.

Is there a reason that you are not considering the Canon A650? You seem to have had a good experience with the A520. It is about the same price, but has manual controls.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 9:06 AM   #5

Actually I found the specs for Canon A650 as a very compelling option. But I found the size a little big for my requirements. And when I checked some of its reviews, I found the performance to be sluggish (which is also an issue with my A520). Nevertheless, I am happy with my A520's results, and I believe the A650 might also be good, especially due to the bigger sensor size (1/1.7"- the feature which made me the most compelling).

But one major aspect I am looking in the camera I want to buy is- the size - because I do not want the feeling of an "extra baggage". Hence the models F100fd and TZ5.

But thanks for the suggestion, I can now suggestA650 to anyone looking for a good camera provided they do not have a size constraint. :-)

Any more suggestions are welcome.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:44 AM   #6
Administrator

The Fuji F100fd is a bit large and heavy for a non-dSLR model (it weighs more than some of the entry level dSLR models, even if you added something like a Tamron 18-250mm lens to the dSLR, to give it roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-375mm lens on a 35mm camera).

The Fuji can take movies (something that dSLR models don't do yet). But, other than that (and any cost difference), I wouldn't see a lot of benefit to going with a larger non-dSLR camera like the Fuji as compared to an entry level dSLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 9:55 AM   #7

I think you're mixing up the F100fd with the S100fs.

Why do camera companies come up with these ridiculous naming/numbering systems?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 9:59 AM   #8
Administrator

You're right. :-) The model numbers are starting to run together anymore they are so similar. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote