Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2008, 2:24 PM   #1

I am thinking about purchasing a Sony A200 or A350. If I used the same lens on each of the aforementioned cameras to take pictures of the same subject would I see a difference in the pictures? thinking about purchasing a Sony A200 or A350. If I used the same lens on each of the I am thinking about purchasing a Sony A200 or A350. If I used the same lens on each of the aforementioned camera to take pictures of the same subject would I see a difference in the pictures?aforI am thinking about purchasing a Sony A200 or A350. If I used the same lens on each of the aforementioned camera to take pictures of the same subject would I see a difference in the pictures?ementioned camera to take pictures of the same subject would I see a difference in the pictures?
JGreen48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2008, 2:45 PM   #2
Administrator

IMO, your best bet would be to stay with the 10MP Sony models (A200 or A300) versus the 14MP A350. The smaller photosites in the higher resolution sensor have a smaller surface area, and don't gather as much light as the 10MP sensor. So, the camera needs to amplify the signal more for the same sensitivity to light (which tends to increase noise levels some).

So, if you want to use a camera in less than optimum lighting at higher ISO speeds, I'd take that into consideration and consider stickcing to the A200 (or A300 if you want live view).

The lower resolution sensor would also place less demands on the lens quality needed for best results (with the higher resolution sensors, we're starting to see some evidence that some lenses can't resolve enough detail to take full advantage of the higher resolution sensors)

The image quality between the A200 and A300 should be identical. The main difference is that the A300 has a tilting display with live view (and a slightly smaller viewfinder to make room for the separate live view sensor Sony incorporated into the A300 and A350), with Live View (missing on the A200).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 3:28 PM   #3

JimC,

Thanks,

John
JGreen48 is offline   Reply With Quote