Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2008, 7:13 PM   #1

My point and shoot is fine for taking around in my purse to get snaps of my 4 kids, but I'm ready to pursue photography as a more serious hobby and considering taking classes and such.

Like many people, I want to shoot a little bit of everything, but my priorities are indoor basketball games and night time skyline photos. I figure if I get something to handle those, most of my other needs will be covered, too.

I don't have a huge budget, but am ready to get started with the basics of a good body, one good lens to start with, add a 50mm, and get started shooting so I can decide what else to add later.

I've read and read for about 2 months and everytime I think I've made a clear decision, I change my mind.

I plan to go handle each of these models today (well, at least the 450 and 40) today. I have previously, and didn't feel strongly one way or other other, so it's more a matter of performance for me. I know the 450 is smaller and may get taken out more, but I figure I have my p&s for that -- my next purchase is for the "awwww" shots.

The more I write, the more I think I'm leaning towards a 30D or 40D. With the prices coming down on both (and the hopefully real rebate starting the 18th), I've been shopping more seriously. With the rebate there'd only be about a $200 difference (at least based on Amazon's prices).

So, is it worth the extra $$ to get the 40D while the 30D is still available new? Or, would a 450 user let me know if this camera would suit my needs. (BTW, my p&s has pretty good continuous shot mode and I use it a lot. With a teen playing b-ball and 2 preschoolers, I tend to get better shots using continuous, getting lots of shots, and choosing the best from that.) Maybe that's not the best way to get photos, but it's working well for me right now.

Thanks!
donnar100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2008, 8:32 PM   #2

donnar100 wrote:
Quote:
Like many people, I want to shoot a little bit of everything, but my priorities are indoor basketball games and night time skyline photos. I figure if I get something to handle those, most of my other needs will be covered, too.
Actually, indoor basketball games and night time skyline photos are pretty specialized, and while the 50mm would do well for the night time skyline photos, for indoor basketball you'll need to be pretty close. Canon also has an 85mm f/1.8 and a 100mm f/2.0 that would be better if you don't have courtside seats.

You can confirm what focal length would be appropriate for how you shoot now by checking the EXIF data on some of the shots you've already gotten, and see what focal length you were usin g then.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 1:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nah, go for the 40D. It's quite an advance over the 30D in features and the price is now incredibly good definitely worth the extra. (Thanks to some great products from the competition, especially the Nikon D300.) And as you already have the P&S there's no point in compromising with the 450D, the viewfinder difference alone is easily worth the price difference IMO.

For nighttime skyline photos you will do fine with a decent zoom at f8 and a tripod.

Low-light action (any indoor sports) is VERY hard to do well, another excellent reason to get the 40D.

As TCav says you are going to need some fast primes for that. Focal length will depend on how close you can get to courtside and the kind of shots you want to take. But some good ones to consider are the 50mm f1.4, 85 f1.8 or 100 f2, and perhaps something wider like the 28 f1.8 if you can get courtside. I personally would give the 50 f1.8 a miss - I hated the AF on that lens.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 7:53 AM   #4
Administrator

For indoor sports, it's a good idea to have ISO 3200 available if you need it (missing on the 450D, which is limited to ISO 1600), depending on how bad the lighting is. So, I'd stick with a 30D or 40D, depending on budget.

As already mentioned, for basketball, a brighter prime (fixed focal length versus zoom) is your best bet on a Canon dSLR, and the 85mm f/1.8 USM has a good reputation for fast AF and good images at wider apertures (assuming you can shoot from the floor). This lens runs around $350 now. So, I'd leave a bit of room in your budget for one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 11:11 AM   #5

I would say the Canon 30D and get the 85mm F1.8 lens. I am a odd one that didn't care for the 40D.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Administrator

The 30D does appear to be a bit more sensitive for low light use (it tests about 1/3 stop more sensitive than set to, whereas the 40D doesn't). But, most users that have upgraded seem to like the 40D more.

Old May 16, 2008, 2:44 PM   #7

I too am in the market for my 1st dslr and am looking at the e-420 or e-520...or xti/xsi cannon..or nikon d40/60 or sony alfa series.....any opinions? I will use for artistic people and architecture stuff and lowlight artistic things...portraits..and street scenes..

Also I really only want 1 lens to get decent coverage.

I know i will have to handle these and see which feels best to me..as my hands are s,maller and i prefer smaller body type and lighter..the canon 40d looks nice but is a bit heavy on paper but i will give it a spin too...i think evf or viewfinder is important to me as well..as i wear contacts and would like a bright clear viewfinder as well. thank you

i was going to go with a longer zoom type bridge camera but the fuji s100 i looked at was already 700-800.00 us and it just seems that for that amount and maybe a bit more getting into a dslr would make more sence.

I do not really want to upgrade again and hope whatever i do buy will last me 5 yrs at least. I now use a - f31fd/tz5/f45fd.
jageya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 3:20 PM   #8
Administrator

jageya

I'd start a new thread asking which camera to choose (versus adding on to this one), making sure to add information about budget, as well as the type of subjects you're most interested in (including conditions: daylight, indoors, etc.).

IMO, the Sony dSLR models are as good as it gets overall in the entry level market niche (fast Autofocus, terrific metering, very well designed "Quick Nav" system for accessing settings, ISO speed settings up to ISO 3200, stabilization with every Minolta AF mount lens, and more. But, I'm probably a bit biased towards Sony models since I currently shoot with a Sony DSLR-A700.

Old May 16, 2008, 4:04 PM   #9

I just purchased a Canon S3 IS around December, 07. I was looking into purchasing a Canon XTI, but have noticed some problems.

Anyone own an XTI? Do you have under exposure problems? Also, I was just told by a local camera shop that you have to get the XTI cleaned once a year, and that it costs $90. Is this true?

Thanks you for your help.
sassiebabi is offline   Reply With Quote