Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2008, 12:46 AM   #1

I honestly can't tell you why i had such a problem with the H1. I tried to take pics of people in candid shots and the camera took so long i missed everything. I depressed the shutter button halfway and was ready to go, but it took a good 2 seconds before it took the pic with flash and no good shots.. compare that 500 camera to my 99 dollar point and shoot kodak that takes a picture instantly when you press the shutter button, even with flash, almost instant..
I want to upgrade now, looking at the Nikon D40, but I am afraid i will have the same problem with speed. Is the Sony that way or did i have a defective camera? Meaning, when you depress the shutter button halfway to let it focus, when you push it shouldn't the pic be instant like the Kodak? I just don't want to run into that problem again and I am a newbie so I definitely could use your help.
Thanks all and nice to find the site
cindyh42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2008, 9:22 AM   #2
Administrator

Virtually all cameras work that way (half press and it will focus, press it the rest of the way down to take the photo), unless you're using a fixed focus lens (one that never changes it's focus).

With most cameras, you can also fully depress the shutter instead (but, the camera will still need to focus).

The H1 AF speed isn't that bad from what I can see in Steve's Review Conclusion (you'll find that kind of performance testing in each camera's review here on the Conclusion page).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...ny_h1_pg5.html

But, there are many factors that will influence it, including the amount of light (and indoors is low light to a camera), and how far you zoom in (since most zoom lenses get dimmer as you zoom in more, making it harder for the camera to "see" well enough to focus).

Now, the Flash recycle time can be a bit long with the H1 (and a number of factors influence that, especially distance to subject). You'll also see performance using flash discussed in the review conclusions here.

Are you sure you didn't have the drive mode set to self timer (causing a delay before the shot is taken)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 3:43 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the reply, first off i am sure the timer wasn't on. I have used it before, that is one thing i know about.
On the shots i was trying to get and I am talking about years since it was new, not just recently, mostly a child, or children and adults, who are indoors and very close, so little to no zoom, and it takes forever. It was my first camera purchase like it, so all I have to compare to are the older sony cybershots which had the camcorder battery that stayed charged forever and 3.2 MP, and my Daughters Kodak from wal mart. BOTH of those cameras are like a godsend compared to the H1.. You depress the shutter halfway or just all the way at once if you don't have time and even inside in the same conditions, so much faster than the H1 I can't even compare them. I don't miss my pics of my granddaughters smile now that I have borrowed the Kodak. Either i got a defective one or the H1 simply does very bad when it comes to using the flash. It isn't fast without it though either.
How in the world do i begin to pick out a new one? I have had my eye on the D40, i want to take a class and learn more about photography, but then again the Kodak is doing great, just would like a better pic...
thanks again
Old May 15, 2008, 4:06 PM   #4
Administrator

It sounds like you're talking about two different things.

Cycle times (how long you have to wait before you can take another photo) is one thing (and with a full power flash, cycle times can be quite slow with many cameras).

Autofocus Speed is different (and should be relatively fast on the H1, provided you're using the focus assist lamp). But, if you just took a flash photo, it's not going to focus and take another one until the capacitor for the flash recharges. Again, Steve's review Conclusions cover that kind of thing, showing times with and without a flash.

You may also want to make sure you have the AF Illuminator set to Auto in this Setup menu:

As for why the Kodak focuses faster... is it a non-zoom lens? It may be a fixed focus lens camera model that doesn't try to adjust it's focus (and you can sometimes get away with that using a wide enough lens on a non-DSLR camera model).

As for choosing a new camera, budget is one way to start out... looking at Steve's Best Cameras List for cameras considered to be a good value within their market niche (reading the Review Conclusions for how they compare in the performance areas you're interested in). Usually, a dSLR model is going to focus faster (but, the lens used will impact Autofocus titmes, as will the lighting levels and subject type).

Old May 15, 2008, 4:19 PM   #5

Jim
Hi again I am not talking about taking consecutive pics, i am talking about spacing them out.. Never 2 in a row. From the time i half depress the shutter button is fast to focus, but then when i am ready to take the pic, it takes forever.. that is where i lose the shots.. does that make it easier to understand what is going on since I am surely not a pro So it is not flash recovery, it is just waiting to take the pic in the first place..
ALso, the Kodak is a 3x zoom so that may help you too..
thanks again
Old May 15, 2008, 4:31 PM   #6
Administrator

The main thing that might be causing an issue is the AF assist lamp (if it's off). So, I'd check that. Also, if you're using any kind of filters on the lens, that can sometimes cause a problem (especially a polarizer, which will reduce the light the camera is seeing significantly).

If you decide to get a new camera, I'd make sure to try them out in a store (many stores have demos setup). But, keep in mind that store lighting is likely going to be *much* better than a typical home interior (so, expect slower focus times at home in lower light)
Old May 15, 2008, 5:14 PM   #7

cindy,

I have used the H1, and for it's vintage, it is extremely fast regarding shutter lag. As Jim mentioned, however, it could be the flash recycle time. The H1 flash takes around 9 seconds to fully recharge (and probably longer with weak batteries). Therefore, if you take a flash shot, then try to take another one after, say, 7 seconds, you would experience a 2 second delay before the shot would 'take'. How about posting a pic, so we can take a look at your settings when this occurs...it might just be the way the camera is set up.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote