Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1

hi folks, im looking for a cam with good movie mode that fits in my budget (350$).. but i cant find any perfect solution... i am going for canon S5 even though i prefer a higher movie resolution than 640x480... but there isnt any other better solution that i could find... another choice is canon tx1 hybrid cam but i dont see many user reviews of it on this site...
i dont want an overly complicated still camera (though s5 is) i need just an average cam with medium resolution and medium zoom... but with a good movie mode at higher resolution..
thanks in advance for all your help
joyceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 12:28 PM   #2

after some research i came across few models... panasonic tz5, fx500 and sony t300... tz5 and t300 have bad reviews. but i couldnt find anything on fx500... anyone here using fx500?
joyceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 3:02 PM   #3

You will most likely find you will have to get higher MP cameras to get the HD version of video. Kodak has something that might be of interest to you, the M1033. It can shoot video in HD 720p. I'm not sure if anyone has done a review on it yet.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShar.../dp/B0012845AA

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 9:26 AM   #4

just created a thread about fx500 vs Sony t-50 and t-300.

T-300 sucked big time, even vs my old t-50 in auto mode.
kolyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 9:27 AM   #5

Ops. Double post
kolyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 9:29 AM   #6

If HD movies are a high priority I'd suggest avoiding the Kodaks. A number of people have purchased a less than $300 Kodak expecting $900 camcorder performance just because it had HD in the specs. That's an unrealistic expectation and of course they've been very unhappy because it didn't meet those expectations. I'm a Kodak owner and fan by the way.

That said, Steve in his Z1275 test, has included an HD video clip and it looks pretty good to me.

Personally I'd buy a still camera based on its performance as a still camera and if I was serious about video I'd buy a camcorder based on its video performance.

Finally I'd ignore the TZ5 "reviews" as I'm reading many satisfied user comments in this and other photo forums.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote