Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2008, 8:01 PM   #1

am in the market for my 1st dslr and am looking at the e-420 or e-520...or xti/xsi canon..or nikon d40/60 or sony alfa series.....any opinions? I will use for artistic people and architecture stuff and lowlight artistic things...portraits..and street scenes..

Also I really only want 1 lens to get decent coverage.

I know i will have to handle these and see which feels best to me..as my hands are s,maller and i prefer smaller body type and lighter..the canon 40d looks nice but is a bit heavy on paper but i will give it a spin too...i think evf or viewfinder is important to me as well..as i wear contacts and would like a bright clear viewfinder as well. thank you

I would spend up to $800.00 and as i stated want it for artsy things..street shots and portraits..some architecture..not birding or sports.
i was going to go with a longer zoom type bridge camera but the fuji s100 i looked at was already 700-800.00 us and it just seems that for that amount and maybe a bit more getting into a dslr would make more sence.I also considered the fuji s6500 but its not made anymore..

I do not really want to upgrade again and hope whatever i do buy will last me 5 yrs at least. I now use a - f31fd/tz5/f45fd.
jageya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 8:12 PM   #2

It sounds like what you want is fast, wide to medium-telephoto lenses. For the best selection of those kinds of lenses, your best choices would be Canon, Nikon and Pentax. The Olympus and Sony dSLRs are good but they don't have a great choice of lenses for what you want.

And forget about getting a single lens to do everything. No single lens will do what you want; lenses with a broad zoom range are too dim (so low-light and portraits are out), and they have too much geometric distortion at the wide end (so architecture is out.)

Also, Nikon's lenses for your purposes won't autofocus on the D40, D40X or D60, and the D80 will put you over budget. So that leaves the Canon XTi and the Pentax K200D, plus maybe something like a 50mm f/1.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 9:32 PM   #3

I'd agree with TCav - both the Canon and the Pentax would be good choices. I preferred the Pentax viewfinder over the old Canonxt - I think Canon changed it for the xti. The one on the xsi I looked at briefly was much nicer than I had remembered, so there might not be much difference between the two. The Pentax K200offers weather sealing, which is really nice for snowy days and in-camera SR, while Canon puts theirs in specific lenses. That may or may not be important to you (depends on your uses - if you mostlyuse a tripod in low lightit won't matter). Pentax offers a 50mm 1.4 and it's more expensive than the Canon 50mm 1.8 (but a little less than Canon's 1.4).

Nikon's lens selection that will AF with the D40/60 is better than it was, and you might not mind manual focus.

P.S. The Sony cameras have different capabilities - some of them have a smaller viewfinder to make room for the separate sensor they put in for their live view. Make sure you check that out if you are planning on using the viewfinder most of the time (like I do).

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 2:16 PM   #4

thank you for the replies..I agree 1 lens wont do everythinmg. years ago i used a canon a2 slr and loved it..with a few lens..it had the viewfinder that followed your eye..lol...it did work well for me...But i think i want to get a camera body that isnt cluttered and alows good low light capability...as well as the ability for a good selection of lenses...i am torn on the in camera stabilization vs lens only ....concept...but i do want one with a wonderful viewfinder and low light capability.
jageya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 8:31 PM   #5

Low light capability comes from the lens, and Canon and Pentax have the best selection for what you're looking fo within your budget.

As to image stabilization, sensor shift (in camera) image stabilization works with any lens so you only have to pay for it once, and it expands the selection of lenses to the used market where lenses were made without image stabilization. Optical (in lens) image stabilization makes the lenses bigger, heavier and more expensive, and is only available on new (or almost new) lenses, but it works with extention tubes, all teleconverters, and projects a stabilized image to the viewfinder.

Proponents of one method may say that one is more effective, but that comes down to variations between brand, model and lens.

If you don't have a preference, it's time to go to a camera store, try them out, and see which one feels better in your hands.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote