Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2008, 6:02 PM   #1

I was reviewing the camera reviews of several dif. mfrs yesterday and found that ne major mfr's website doesn't list ISO capabilities, but only JPEG sizes for its point and shoot models. Does JPEGand ISOactually equal each other and I've never noticed it before? ???

Thanks.
sarainelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 6:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

They don't have anything to do with each other.

JPEG is a file type. See this article for more information:

JPEG Images: Counting Your Losses

ISO speed how sensitive the film or digital camera sensor is to light (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture setting).

What camera models are you referring to? Virtually all major camera manufacturers are going to show the available ISO speeds in a camera's specifications section.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 6:44 PM   #3

Jim,
I was looking at the Cool Pix series by Nikon. I went here: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKCPL2

and clicked on the Product information tab

and then I scrolled down to the SPECIFICATIONS (red) section to the area called "IMAGE" where I only see JPEG numbers. For the other brands at this part of the description they had ISO numbers instead. It made me curious enough to want to learn about it more. Thanks for your patience. I have bought the wrong cameras three times in three years and I am determined to find one that is right for my needs. Thanks again. S.
sarainelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 7:09 PM   #4
Administrator

That's a very basic entry level model that doesn't have an adjustable ISO speed. It looks like some of the other Nikon L series cameras are going to be the same way.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote