Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2008, 12:36 AM   #1

The 2 things I am looking for and hopefully someone here can help. I did manage to speed the sony H1 up, bought a faster card and that helped a lot, the flash recover is still bad but thats OK
I do want a compact carry with me all the time though, and am still looking for the 2 things, as good a zoom as I can get, with fast shutter speed. Also, good pic quality of course. I have read reviews on cnet for 2 months and did nothing but confuse myself, and now the reviews on this site...
Thanks for your help.
cindyh42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2008, 4:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the fun world of choosing a new camera!!

If you can give members a little more info then I'm sure you will get some great advice.

What sort of things do you like to shoot? Are you shooting only during the day or also at night/low light? Do you do much flash photography? What is your budget? Lastly, what is your H1 not doing that is making you want to switch?

I think that's enough questions for now :-).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3

Hi,
thanks for the reply. The H1 is just not compact to carry with me all the time. I will also be shooting a lot indoors and lowlight, I don't want to spend more than 300 or so, unless its a stellar camera. I will miss the zoom on the H1, that is for sure, but as i said, i can't carry it everywhere with me, or should I say don't ? Thanks again, looking forward to what i hear.
Old May 21, 2008, 1:52 PM   #4

I have a Kodak z712 IS and LOVE it for carrying around in my pocket. It's bigger than most "point and shoot", but still fits in my coat pocket. I hang it around my neck when walking and it's not heavy or bothersome. It has a great zoom - 12x! And I would say for a P&S, it has a fairly quick shutter.

I take it with me everywhere and take a wide variety of photos. You are welcome to see some of my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amy129/
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 6:03 PM   #5

If you do not shoot much in low light conditions, then I'd take a serious look at the Sony H3. It's very small, fast, has a great flash range (the best of its class I've no doubt) and great movie quality. It certainly has its limitations specially when it comes to manual controls (no Av nor Tv modes and only two aperture values available in M mode) plus some other minor limitations such as low res LCD and no EVF. However, it carries a 10x optical zoom lens in a very compact (and light weight) body, making it ideal to carry around at all times. Sony has released the H10, which replaces the H3 but I don't think it's worth the extra $$$. I bought an H3 for my 11-year old son on eBay for a mere $152in excel cond.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 8:10 PM   #6

I will look at the H3, but I thought it was the same size as the H1, which is not easy to carry around. thanks
Old May 21, 2008, 9:15 PM   #7

You might want to look at the Panasonic TZ5. I suspect the Kodak Z712 may be a bit larger than you want but it does probably have the best high ISO performance of any 1/2.5 sensor camera on the market and it is fairly quick.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote