Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2008, 1:14 PM   #11

Canon S5.
I did a lot of research when the Canon S2 was releaesed, and chose it over the Panasonic FZ5 and the Sony H1.

2 and a half years later it was stolen, and I did all my research from scratch, and I chose the updated S5.

I am still very happy with it. If you read the reviews at steves and dpreview, you will see that its one of the best when it comes to IQ and features. Personally I think its the best from the reviews I've read.

Pro's:
Its hard to list all the things I like about it, since I really like it, but the swivel LCD stands out. Really great to have.
It uses AA batteries.

Con's:
A bit bigger than some of the other camera's
A bit of purple fringing
A bit more noise than I would like (i have been playing with DSLR's)
The buttons are a bit worse than on the S2.

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 3:39 PM   #12

Probably to late for the post but you should go on the olympus forum and take a look at the pictures from the SP 570. The 550 had focus issues, the 560 a much improved camera, a little soft at full zoom but can be adjusted in camera. I have the 560 and love it, but I think they stepped up the mark when they made the 570. Here's a shot from 40 feet with my tcon, and cropped with the 560 and from what I see the 570 is even better. My advise, check other forums and look for yourself, the fz18 is good and the 560 but in my opinion the 570 has raised the bar.
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 5:39 PM   #13

eharrim-

You have gotten some impressive results with the Olympus Sp-560. I am waiting for my SP-560 to be delivered, so I am happy to see some good results.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 6:43 AM   #14

Thanks Sarah,
I really enjoy the 560. My only complaint is it does have a tendency to be quite soft at full zoom so you'll need to adjust either in camera or Pshop. It is also not a great low light camera, but then for the price you can't expect to get everything. I was torn between the FZ18 and the 560 but having had a Cseries camera went with the more familar menu. I got a good deal since the 570 was coming out but now after seeing on the olympus talk forum what it can do I probably should have went with the 570. Still I'm very happy with the 560 with the exception of the softness.
Eric
Old May 25, 2008, 6:49 AM   #15

Also to Keheltrek if you're still watching the post, if zoom is not your main priority and you aren't into camera adjustments or photoshop the canon s5 is probably a better right out of the camera choice. It has great IQ but a little less zoom.
Eric
Old May 25, 2008, 7:11 PM   #16

Another very creditable camera to take a look at would be the new Nikon P-80 18X optical zoom bridge camera. Shots from it look very good.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2008, 12:03 AM   #17

I received the H50 a couple of days ago and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm leaving for Hawaii tomorrow morning, it would be on its way back to Crutchfield on Tuesday.It was a huge disappointment. PF was evident in most contrasty shots (actually, green fringing was also obvious), poor AF system (the cameradoes not lock focus on the first attempt in many conditions, speciallyat the long range of the zoom), slowpower on/off, huge shutter lag when using DRO plus, sometimes the image viewed through EVF has apink/purple cast even though theactual picture is OK, and the list goes on and on.

As Sarah suggested, the P80 may be worth a try. However, the very few user reviews I'veread are not positive at all. So, if you want a new camera, I'd say the FZ18 is your best bet. If not, I'd consideran used Sony H2 or H1. I still think they are the bestof the H series to date.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 7:04 AM   #18

Tulio-

I agree that the P-80 reports have been somewhat contradictory, but all in all I find the P-80 to be an excellent camera. Yes, it does takea "getting used to it" learning cycle. But it can really put out the goods.

Here is a photo sample taken from the http://www.dpreview.com'sNikon Forum this morning. It was taken by a gentleman named Marti who lives in the Netherlands.

Thanks as well for your report on the Sony H-50. I had also considered the H-50, then opted for the P-80 as we left Portland. Today we board the Caribbean Princess for a 36 day contract. So I will now have some time to get comfortable with the new P-80.

Sarah Joyce

Old May 26, 2008, 7:49 AM   #19

Sarah, that's a pretty impessive P&S shot. It's obvious that camera has potential. For comparison, I didn't do it but here's a SP 570 shot taken by Gary in the Oly forum.
Eric
Attached Images

Old May 26, 2008, 8:23 AM   #20

Eric-

Is that photo you posted, which is really lovely, from the SP-560 or the SP-570? I have read some negative comments about the Sp-570's zoom mechanism, with the result that some folks prefer the SP-560 over the SP-570. The Sp-560 has a conventional rocker switch for the zoom.

Well today we go to work on the Caribbean Princess for a 36 day contract teaching digital cameras, so you won't find me on line very much during the 05/26 to 07/01 period.

Sarah Joyce