Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2008, 8:47 AM   #21

Sarah,
The flower shot is from Gary on the oly forum taken with the 570. The bird shot I took with the 560 and tcon from around 40 feet. The 570 is definitely a step up in IQ. That said I have heard pros and cons on the 570 zoom ring. I haven't tried it so I have no first hand knowledge. I prefer the rocker switch since the zoom ring on the 570 is not really manual but electrical. Some say it's fine and others complain it's not good at mid range as it's to finicky to fine zoom. If I had the choice all over again I would put up with a little finicky zoom to get better IQ. The price will drop on the 570 when the next line is out and then I'm sure they will have addressed the zoom ring and you'll have to make another decision : ) It's never ending but it's great to see that companies are addressing IQ issues associated with the bridge cameras and smaller sensors.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 9:25 AM   #22

Tullio, if you used the H50 in Hawaii, please send us your impressions!

Thanks

Kheltrek
Brazil
kheltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 11:53 AM   #23

Here is another shot taken with the SP 560 from around 25 feet, no tcon.
Eric
Attached Images

Old May 26, 2008, 2:37 PM   #24

Those interested in the Nikon P80 might be want to know about an issue of streaks of light in images created in some situations. I came across this while viewing Customer Images displayed on the Amazon page for the P80.

Image 21 has this quote;

"Manual Page 47: "If bright objects such as the sun or electric lights are captured during high-speed continuous shooting, vertical streaks of light may appear in the recorded images."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...pdp_images_all

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:56 PM   #25

Both the Nikon and Oly images are excellent and they come to show that just about any camera is capable of taking good pictures. The question is, how many pictures have to be taken before one like these are obtained?I can't say much about the Nikon but I've read too many negatives about it to believe that it's the best ultra zoom out there. My wife has the SP560 and although it produces good images, it misses a lot of them too, specially due to inaccurate focus. I still believe that the FZ18 is the best ultra zoom available (above 12x because there are a few very good 12x zoom cameras such as the Canon S3/S5 and the Sony H1/H2).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:22 PM   #26

Tullio,
You're absolutely right any of them can take a good picture and as far as how many shots it takes that is a percentage that goes up with practice. I started out with a very low percentage of shots with the 560 that were decent but as I became more familar with the camera and how to use it that percentage has gone up. I have learned that the 560 is very soft especially at full zoom so with practice I have aquired the knowledge that I have to set in camera conditions accordingly. That may mean putting the contrast and sharpness to +2 or adding or subtracting the amount of saturation or using aperature and shutter depending on light conditions. The thing is with bridge cameras none are perfect and it's a big learning curve no matter what brand you get. Fortunately with digital unlike film we can shoot, learn, and toss the bad ones without paying extra.
Eric