Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2008, 4:22 PM   #1

:O
Firstly, id like to introduce myself ... I'm about 31 from India... just taken up photography as a hobby... have a Canon S5 IS for about a year and was planning on getting a new DSLR. i have short-listed the Nikon D40x, D60 and the Canon 450D. I would like to being by saying my photography needs... just a casual amateur photographer who likes to capture the sunset , the sunrise... beautiful landscapes etc., my pictures are based more on nature than anything else.

Now i will need your help in choosing the right one as i am totally new to the DSLR category. Let me give you the reasons for choosing the respective cameras:

Nikon D40x:

I was actually looking for information on the D60 and came across a few articles which said that the D40x was faster than the D60 and it doesn't necessarily mean that more mega pixels would mean better picture quality. So that is how the D40x came to my mind.

Nikon D60:

I first choose the D60 as i read somewhere that it had a newer image processor and more MPs... which later on i came to read that doesn't mean is better.

Canon 450D:

The primary reason for choosing this one apart from the fact that this is a Canon was that it has got Live View Mode... now to be very honest i dont know how much this is going to help me or dissuade me from buying the others.

One more thing id like to request u guys is to please keep the cost of the lenses... im not too sure which lenses cost more... i checked a few Nikkor lenses n phew ... took my breath away.

I had a question that i needed to ask y'all experienced people... do u think its a good idea to get the 450D or the others above mentioned... now I'm asking this keeping in mind the price of the lenses n all.

Secondly, I am looking for a lens .. maybe something which has like a 20 x zoom (i really don't understand how the zoom works on a DSLR but i checked out the Nikkor 18-200mm VR and it costs a bomb http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm) and i also wanted to know which one would be a normal lens ... or can i use the zoom lens to also take normal standard pictures ... or better still if i could have a single lens for all purposes.... i don't want to go beyond US$ 300 or so..

thank u

forgive me if my questions sound stupid..

thank u again !!
phreaker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2008, 4:33 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't think you'll like the live view mode on any current dSLR models except for the new Sony dSLR models (A300, A350), since these have a separate live view sensor that still lets the camera use it's primary 9 point Autofocus System at the same time, as well as a tilting LCD.

Others are all relatively slow to Autofocus compared to using the Optical Viewfinder, have LCD blackout problems trying to shoot in continuous mode, slow LCD fresh rate times for moving subjects causing smearing and delay, slower AF using Live View, poor performance in lower light, etc. Most also lack a tilting LCD (so their use for things like macros and shots from low to the ground, shots from waist level or overhead in a crowd and more are very limited.

If you have a way to try out a camera, try it's live view mode.

As for your desired budget, $300 is not enough to buy any of the cameras (or even the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens you mentioned). So, I think we're misunderstanding the currency exchange rates somewhere.

Out of the cameras you've mentioned, I'd lean towards the Canon, even if it didn't have Live View (again, most live view systems have too many drawbacks in models like this one, especially since most don't have a tilting LCD). This is a very good camera model, with superior AF performance, much better lens compatibilty and more compared to the NIkon models you're looking at.

What is your total budget for both camera and lens? I'd make sure you're looking at what the cameras and lenses would normally cost at a U.S. vendor like http://www.bhphotovideo.com so that we have a better idea of what to recommend.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 6:43 PM   #3

Hi..i too am looking into my 1st dslr and have narrowed to the canon d450/oly e420/520 sony a300/pentax d20/200...

my needs are street scenes..lowlight creative stuff with b&w and colors..candid portraits..and some architecture...so DOF is a good thing to have control over as well as decent hi iso use. I dont realy photograph sports or birds or wildlife or studio work....and i would like a camera that will keep me happy for 5 yrs or more...as well as intuitive to use with things like iso and apature/shutterspeed settings close at hand instead of in buried menus. thank you

jageya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 7:11 PM   #4

What Jim said. Though you really need to handle all the cameras you are considering before you buy - the Nikon and Canon have different grips and a different feel to them. I personally wasn't crazy about the grip on the Canon - even though I have small hands, I've gotten used to having the camera fill my hand so to speak(I shoot Pentax). Also, I'm not really crazy about live view - Sony does the best job of it, but it comes at the price of a smaller viewfinder. I do lots of macro with manual focus and the smaller viewfinder/coverage would bother me, but it might not bother others at all. Given just your choices, I'd probably choose the Nikon, even though the number of lenses of lenses that AF with it are limited (but then, I don't mind manual focus). I'm actually a very happy Pentax user and have no intention of switching to anything else - the cameras feel very good in my hands, I love the picture quality and while my current lenses certainly meets my needs (and I haven't paid more than $725 for any of my lenses), there's several out that I'd sure like to have (sigh).

jageya - the K20 isn't quite in the same class as the other cameras you are looking at. It is a more advanced camera, with more features than the others, and is significantly more expensive. It's a lovely camera, I love mine, but not everyone is going to want/need the extra features it has.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 12:16 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
What is your total budget for both camera and lens? I'd make sure you're looking at what the cameras and lenses would normally cost at a U.S. vendor like http://www.bhphotovideo.com so that we have a better idea of what to recommend.
Thank u very much JimC and mtngal for the response.... i would say my budget for the Camera and lenses should be arounf 1000 US$ ... i dont want to spend more right now as this would be my first DSLR .... last night i read a lot of articles n posts on the D40x and it doesnt seem to be a bad deal..... subject to ur approval that is.... i really do need some serious help in getting the right one....

Old May 22, 2008, 1:20 AM   #6

With that budget a D40 is a good alternative, really. Better with a cheap camera and good lenses, than the opposite
lofling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 1:34 AM   #7

lofling wrote:
Quote:
With that budget a D40 is a good alternative, really. Better with a cheap camera and good lenses, than the opposite
I was just thinking about the same thing !! So according to u experts i should go in for the D40x..... not because of the MPs but 3.0 fps.... and i would be ever so grateful if you could suggest a good multi-purpose lens to me....

thank u
Old May 22, 2008, 1:38 AM   #8

I am really not an expert. Just in theory, in that case. Almost everybody recommends D40 over D40x. The 6 mp is enough in almost every case for many people.

For me, it is the lack of AF in the body that keeps me looking at the D80 and the Rebel XSI. But for the price, the D40 is a real bargain. It is so light to and good to handle.
lofling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 2:35 AM   #9

Im sorry dude but im kinda hooked on to the D40X.... maybe just coz of the MPs... and i dont paying that lil extra .... well unless u tell me there is something patently wrong with this camera ... do u think i should buy it?

and if u could be kind enough to suggest some multi-purpose lens for it ... thank u
Old May 22, 2008, 7:35 AM   #10

1. The people that recommend the Nikon D40 over the D40X refer to the D40's better low-light, high ISO performance. In all other circumstances, having the D40X's 10MP image sensor is better than the D40's 6MP image sensor. The D40X will give you more image to work with especially for cropping. SoI think that, except for high ISO settings, the D40X is a better choice than the D40. Plus, I just checked to make sure, and the differeneces between the D60 and the D40X are that the D60 has Dust Cleaning, White Balance Bracketing, and a few more Re-touch menu options. Those all sound like good things to me.[/*]
  2. There is no good multipurpose lens. The superzoom lenses (i.e.: 18-200mm, 18-250mm, 28-300mm, etc.) do most things adequately but few things well. They all have significant geometric distortion at the wide end, are soft at the long end, have significant chromatic aberation throughout, and are generally pretty dim. A dSLR is a 'No Compromises' camera, but a multipurpose lens is a compromise. I am confident that you will be happier with the results from multiple, less ambitious lenses, that with a single lens that you want touse everything simply because of it's focal length. Whatever you choose, your future dSLR will be capable of a lot more than what a 'mulitipurpose' lens will deliver.[/*]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote