Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2008, 4:14 PM   #1

Starting this September I will be doing a organic farming all over the country for about two years. I will be traveling as lite as I can but I would like to use photos to document my experiances.

I am looking for a digital camera that I can use for snapshots it does not need to take great photos just good ones. If you where to have a scale of 1-10 one being photos like you see of UFOs or bigfoot and 10 being those that you would see in a gallery I am looking for about a 4 or 5 in the quality of photos that I would like.

I do have some things that it needs to live up to though...

1) It needs to make good use of the batteries...at work we have some $40 cameras that take only 20-30 photos before you have to change the batteries and I can not have a camera like that.

2) It needs to be able to travel well, meaning, it should be smaller and a bit tough.

3) The biggest problem that I have is storage. I will be taking a external hard drive but I never know when I will have the chance to transfer them off the memory cards. I am looking to the best type of memory card to get your "boom for the buck" so to say.

Also I have a question that I am looking for a ball park guess on. About how many photos can one fit on a 1gb memory card. I know that it depends on the camera and they quality of the camera but I would like just to know around how many they might hold...25? 100? 250? 1000? Just so I know how much space I might should have with to hold about 1000 photos of ok quality.

If I could spend about $250 for the camera and memory cards that would be great...so do you think will fit my needs?
herby canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2008, 6:14 PM   #2

herby canopy wrote:
Quote:
Starting this September I will be doing a organic farming all over the country for about two years. I will be traveling as lite as I can but I would like to use photos to document my experiances.

I am looking for a digital camera that I can use for snapshots it does not need to take great photos just good ones. If you where to have a scale of 1-10 one being photos like you see of UFOs or bigfoot and 10 being those that you would see in a gallery I am looking for about a 4 or 5 in the quality of photos that I would like.

I do have some things that it needs to live up to though...

1) It needs to make good use of the batteries...at work we have some $40 cameras that take only 20-30 photos before you have to change the batteries and I can not have a camera like that.
Quote:
See below....in your case, I probably wouldn't want to be locked into a proprietary battery.

2) It needs to be able to travel well, meaning, it should be smaller and a bit tough.
Quote:
Most digicams are well built, but allhave weak points, like the blinds that cover the lenses, so you'll still need to be careful.

3) The biggest problem that I have is storage. I will be taking a external hard drive but I never know when I will have the chance to transfer them off the memory cards. I am looking to the best type of memory card to get your "boom for the buck" so to say.
Quote:
Memory is cheap. Buy two or three 2 GB cards and you should be able to go at least 2-3 days between downloads.

Also I have a question that I am looking for a ball park guess on. About how many photos can one fit on a 1gb memory card. I know that it depends on the camera and they quality of the camera but I would like just to know around how many they might hold...25? 100? 250? 1000? Just so I know how much space I might should have with to hold about 1000 photos of ok quality.
Quote:
Depends on the resolution of the camera you choose. My 9 megapixelPanasonic TZ5 shows on the LCD it will hold around 900 images on a 4 GB card at the highest resolution setting, so I'd guess between 200-250 per GB, again, depending on the resolution of the camera, and whether you choose to shoot at the highest resolution or a lower resolution, which will give you more images per gigabyte.

If I could spend about $250 for the camera and memory cards that would be great...so do you think will fit my needs?
Quote:
For $250, I'd say you probably need to be looking at the Canon A series....maybe like the A720 here..
Quote:
Spend the $30 it costs for the Sandisk 2 GB card in the accessories section (maybe 2-3 of them)and one or two sets of AA rechargeable batteries and you would be set fora little overyour (very modest for the project) budget.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3

If you want to save some money, there is the Panasonic LZ-8 which sells for just $149 that has very similiar specifications to the Canon A-720.

I too, was wondering how it could be much of a camera, but I order one for my granddaughter and found out that it is a real camera baragin capable of excellent photos. Now both my granddaughter and I have a Panasonic LZ-8 and love them. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 4:34 PM   #4

Thanks you two for the information, I will look at both the cameras. It is great news that I could hold that many photos on a card I was worried I could only hold around 60ish, this way I do not have to buy like 20gb's of memory cards.

I been thinking about this a lot and I am thinking about getting a $300 EEE PC. If I had an EEE I would not have to worry about running out of space and the labtop only weights 2lbs...Oh man, I can not wait.
Old May 26, 2008, 3:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Eh?

The EEEPC has no more storage space than a mid-sized SD/CF card. It's not a "normal" laptop.

It's only real advantage is its size. Otherwise for the same money you could get yourself a real laptop with a big hard disk and screen.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 1:46 PM   #6

Yeah I know but I do not want to carry a larger labtop that weights four times that amount. Like I said I will be bringing a portable HD with me for storage. I have one of the 2.5" ones that is just a little bigger then a pack cigs...