Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2008, 1:14 PM   #11

mtclimber - you made a really good point. And maybe made my decision tougher.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My reason for considering DSLR was because I felt that my P&S had very little manual control. I really liked Canon because when I first started out, the presets on the camera produced really nice shots. As I started taking more pictures and researching other photo samples, I wanted to be more creative with my shots - not just your typical, shoot at anything and everything you see in one mode. I was frustrated with my P&S and the lack of manual control it had - I tried the tweak this setting, take pic, and d/l it to the computer to see what it looks like method.It didn't help .. it was all blurry. I made the (bad) assumption that all P&S cameras had minimal manual control. Isn't the point of a P&S to be easy, straight forward, and be able to use it right out of the box without tweaking with AP or SP?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Because I wanted to go beyond the pre-sets and be more creative with my shots (and not just take pictures of everything and anything), I felt a DSLR would give me that. Plus, from the DSLRs I have used (from friends), the camera doesn't go "on hold" while the image is being written to the media. I can shoot quickly and easily.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The advice here made me reconsider the P&S. So now, I have discovered the Canon S5 IS and the Nikon P-80. They seem like a cross between a DSLR and P&S. The flexibility of a manual, yet still some presets if I'm feeling lazy.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Would this be a good step for someone like me who may not need a DSLR but have the manual freedom to go beyond the pre-sets? It would make travelling a whole lot lighter, but wouldI get the kind of shots I want out of it? Would it be a good "bridge" to the DSLR world?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also, when would it be right for someone to move to DSLR? style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What kind of general photography issues would not be solved by a new model P&S?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Am I going off topic here? Sorry.

Pudge
pudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 2:42 PM   #12

As I said in my original post, everything you say you're looking for, you can get with a P&S, andfor a lot less money.

Except for the shallow depth of field shots. For that, you need a larger image sensor and a large aperture lens. If that's important to you, then you need a dSLR.

Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:09 AM   #13

Thanks everyone.

I went with the Canon XSi. It feels great in the hands. Looking back, I'm glad I did not get the D60.

I love my new camera and I can finally get that blurred background with ease. I am taking the advice in the forums and will be experimenting with the kit lens before deciding on what lens to buy next.

The kit lens is actually quite good.
pudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:32 AM   #14

Congratulations and good luck with it.

And come back and post something.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote