Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2008, 3:42 AM   #1

Hello all,

I've owned a Canon Rebel XTi for about a year and a half and was really thinking about "upgrading" to the Xsi very soon. The larger viewfinder, 3" LCD, and switch to SD cards are very nice new features in my book. The $800 price tag for the body only is about right for me too.

However, with Canon's instant rebate on the 40D, it brings that camera to a little over $100 more than the Xsi, which would be a far better upgrade by the books.

The drawbacks to the 40D in my opinion are that it is still 10.1 MP and still uses CF cards. Also, I don't think my remotes work with the 40D, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't mind CF cards, but every time I have to hook up a USB CF reader I'm reminded how convenient SD cards would be since my laptop has a reader built right in. Anyone used one of the SD to CF converters? Are they fast enough?

So, right now, I'm leaning towards the 40D. I'm not a professional photographer, but I am a geek (and geeks like specs). I don't NEED the 40D over the Xsi.. I also don't know how long I'd even hold onto the 40D if I got it. If Canon released the rumored 45D or 50D, I'm willing to bet it'll be 12 MP and use SD cards, but it'd also be a lot more money.

Thoughts please!
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2008, 4:54 AM   #2

If I lived in the US, I would have bought the 40D faster than you can say "Fourty Dee" :-p

But here in South Africa, there is no rebate, and the 40D body is about $300 more than the XSi with the Kit lens :-(
So now I have to "settle" for the XSi.

You will have to have some great lenses and enlarge to huge sizes to see a reall difference with the extra 2MP.

Also, I dont thing the upgrade from the XTi to the XSi is worth all the money.

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 5:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

We all like new toys and I can't say anything at all as I have 3 Canon dSLRs in my kit. What is the XTi not doing that you want to get from your new camera? What sort of photography do you currently do and what do you envisage doing in the future? What lenses do you have in your kit, if you don't have good glass, adding some will make more of a difference than a new body?!

As for a xxD camera going to SD, I personally don't think it is likely, most people in this range will already be using a CF card and I would say that major players are going to keep their semi-pro bodies with this format. I understand why the xxxD and other manufacturers entry bodies are going for SD as a lot of people are coming from P&S cameras so they don't have to purchase new media. I could be wrong but this is how I see it at the moment.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the input!

I'll probably get the 40D if I can collect enough pennies before the promotion ends.

I like SD since my laptop has a reader built into it. I think CompactFlash is slowly going away. They're harder to find, and companies like SanDisk aren't making as many these days. It used to be that SD wasn't nearly as large or fast, but that's changing with SDHC.
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:35 AM   #5

I have many of the same questions as you. For me though, I do a specific type of photography that seems the 40D would be better for. That being I photograph dog agility, most of the time the agility trials are held in dark horse barns.

I do a lot of hiking, that's what drew me to the XTi originally, it's so nice and small and light. But I've been doing a lot of handling of the 40D, it really isn't as much of a monster as I first thought when I was just getting into a DSLR. That was only 6 months ago.

I guess my question would be, would the 40D be significantly better in low light conditions? As I said, I've only had the Xti for six months, I love the camera but I did buy it fairly specifically for dog agility, and if the 40D would be significantly better I'd go for it.

I have several good lenses, one in particular is a good indoor lens. A Canon 85mm f1.8 USM...

Joe Fisher
Teacher, K-8
Marion, MT
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The main thing you will gain is double the ISO so for the same lighting conditions you will be able to double the shutter speed which could be very helpful. The lens you are working with is probably the one most of us would choose for this sort of work as long as you can get close enough.

Another advantage is the 6.5fps which might help get a keeper when the going gets tough although I don't advocate machine gunning but sometimes it can get you out of a situation.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:46 AM   #7

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
The main thing you will gain is double the ISO so for the same lighting conditions you will be able to double the shutter speed which could be very helpful. The lens you are working with is probably the one most of us would choose for this sort of work as long as you can get close enough.

Another advantage is the 6.5fps which might help get a keeper when the going gets tough although I don't advocate machine gunning but sometimes it can get you out of a situation.
Thanks Mark. I bought the 40d today, I saw it at a store with a nice kit. 18-55 IS lens (I'll put it on my XTi to sell it), 430ex speedlite, compact flash card I'll put in my Xti to sell it), Big honkin case, extra battery, there may have been more but it's late now, I can't remember.
All in all, a good deal. I think it was meant to be.:-)

Joe
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:35 AM   #8

What about keeping the Xti rather than selling it (unless you need the money)? I've enjoyed having two cameras - I tend to keep a wide angle on one and a tele on the other (or a zoom on one and a macro on the other, depends on where I am and what I'm doing). I don't carry them both all the time, but it really isn't that big of a deal - sometimes better than always changing lenses. And you'll have the lighter, perfectly good Xti for hiking, when you don't necessarily need the extra features of the heavier 40d (though I quickly got used to hiking with a heavier camera when I upgraded). Anyway, something to think about.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote