Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2008, 4:45 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D40 with a 18-135 lens. I feel it's time for me to upgrade. I am thinking about the Canon 450D or the Nikon D80. I will share my thoughts with you.

1. My hands are a bit big. I remember at the time of my D40 purchase, I took the D40 over the Canon 350D because the Nikon felt much nicer in my hand. I know the D80 is even better than the D40 in terms of grip for large hands and build quality. What about the 450D? Is it any different to the 350D in terms of build quality and grip?

2. The dust cleaner on the Canon is a big plus for me as I need to get my D40 cleaned once every 2.5 months on average. The D80 has no such system. Also, the D80 has no live view and it's 10 megapixels and the 450D has 12. When you think about it, is the D80 superior to the 450D in any aspect?

3. The whole purchase may come down to lenses. This is where the fight goes in favor of the Nikon. As a every day lens Nikon has the 18-200 VR and Canon has no such thing as far as I know. The lenses I want to buy over time are: a fisheye, 50mm, a everyday lens such as the 18-200 VR and a motorsports lens. From what I see, I think Nikon has better lenses. Which body can take the better lenses?

4. As much as I like the D80, there is no deniying the fact that the 450D has better features, it's brand new and the Nikon D80 has been around for quite some time. I would hate to buy a D80 now only the see it's succeser being released in a few months. Is there any word on the D80 replacement? Is it worth waiting for?

5. Maybe a list of the things I shoot will help. About 70% of my shooting is automotive, be it private photoshoots, tracks, meets etc, 20% is city and nature and 10% is people and other random stuff.

So, to those who took the time to read this, what should I do?
Solberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2008, 7:52 PM   #2

First, why do you think you need to upgrade?? How is the D40 limiting you?? You will get some performance benefits from the D80. It's a bit faster, can control SB600 and Sb800's off camera, has dual command wheels, and a greater iso range among other things. Dust removal in my opinion isn't that big of a deal. I'm suprised you've had to clean your D40 as much as you have. Eventually you'll still need to clean the sensor. I can't comment on Canon since I don't shoot and have never shot canon. But both companies make good lenses. Canon tends to be a little cheaper for comparitive lenses, but they both can fill just about every need you have. The d80 is a bit older, but still will produce great images..i still use mine despite getting a D300. A replace ment has been rumored, but no dates or specs are available. There's tons of speculation, but no hard facts. If you don't need a camera in the next few months, it may be worth waiting to see what happens. If you need a camera now, I'd get the D80 if it suits you.

Make sure you try both camera's...see how they feel. Since you don't have a significant lens investment, switching systems wouldn't be a big deal. In truth, though, if you can't get good images, it's not the camera's fault.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 9:08 PM   #3

I think that before I looked at upgrading my camera, I might look at upgrading my lenses first. If you are shooting much at the track, I think your first priority would be to get a longer lens, rather than a new camera. Are you finding the 6 mp limiting because you want to crop your track pictures extensively? You'll always get a better picture if you use a longer lens and not crop as much, rather than getting a camera with more mp and cropping more with the same lens.

had been a long time since I looked at other brands (I shoot Pentax) so recently I took the opportunity to hold the D60 and the Canon xsi. My personal preference is for a camera's grip to fill my hand more than the xsi does, but that's such a personal thing and you might feel differently.

I agree about the dust removal systems - I have one camera with it and one without. I think the K20's dust removal does seem to help some, but it's such a minor thing since I perfected the two handed method of changing lenses. I have the new lens all ready in one hand, then use the other hand to remove the one on the camera while the new one goes right on - the camera is open for such a brief time. Always make sure your back is to the wind, by the way (I made that mistake once - what a disaster!). This means that the only dust I get comes off easily with a couple of puffs with a handblower - I haven't actually wet cleaned a sensor yet.

The difference between 10 and 12 mp isn't all that much. The D80 has a very successful sensor, even if it is older in electronic terms.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 4:41 AM   #4

I do want a new camera but I can wait for a while.

I just had a look at the Canon 40D. That seems like a great piece of kit. How is it compared to the D80 and 450d?
Old May 27, 2008, 5:18 AM   #5

I'd say the 40d sits in between the D80 and D300 when comparing it to Nikon's line. It's definitely more performance oriented than the D80...faster AF, more FPS. At currrent prices, it's a pretty good deal for the semi pro/advanced amateur, especially if you like shooting action and sports.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:37 AM   #6

The question is, will the D90 or D80x trump the 40D?

Should I get a 40D now or wait for the D90/D80x?

I tried them out, and both the D80 and the 40D fell great for me. The 40D is obviously better than the D80 but I really don;t know if I should wait or not.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:53 AM   #7

Solberg wrote:
Quote:
The question is, will the D90 or D80x trump the 40D?

Should I get a 40D now or wait for the D90/D80x?

I tried them out, and both the D80 and the 40D fell great for me. The 40D is obviously better than the D80 but I really don;t know if I should wait or not.
Only Nikon knows what the D80's replacement will be like. As I said before, there are no specs or even a release date available. I would expect it soon...the D80 came out in August 2006, and some are expecting an announcement any day now. I would expect some of the D300's features to trickle down into a D90 (if that's what they call it)...live view and a dust cleaning system would be two almost sure things. A lot of people are hoping for more FPS...the 4-5 range would be a nice step up. But you'll have to wait and see. As I said, if you need a camera now, I wouldn't worry about choosing either the D80 or the 40d. If you need the speed, the 40d is the clear choice. Otherwise, the d80 is still excellent. If you can afford to wait for the d90 then wait. Just be prepared, it could still be a few months (or a few weeks). Just remember, the 40d was released in September of last year, and once fall/winter rolls around, you'll probably start hearing rumours about it's replacement. There will always be something better, faster, cooler in the pipeline. Product life cycles are getting shorter and shorter in the DSLR market. IF you're always wondering what the next big thing will be, you'll end up in a constant state of waiting.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:00 AM   #8

I think I'll wait for the D90.

Thanks.