Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2008, 5:15 AM   #1

OK, big question, what i need is a camera that will allow me to take really good closeups of an insects nostrils as well as an amzing zoom to get the pilot of Boeing 747as he picks his nose too...I also need something that will work in dark or badly lit rooms too. Basically, I like to carry my cam with me everywhere and tend to stop and photograph like crazy....my wife thinks I'm mad...and yes, she's right.

I need the cam for really good nature closeups, also for long dsitance close ups. I also need it for indoor photography, sepcifically people at functions.

What do you suggest?

...and yes, I know I will cry when I see the cost!
Ian Kano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2008, 6:56 AM   #2

Macro. Indoor/low-light. Supertelephoto. That's a tall order.

What I think you're looking for is a 'No Compromises' camera. I'm inclined to say that what you need is a dSLR.But that's not the kind of camerathat you can keep in your pocket.

Can you post some examples of the kinds of photos you like to take?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 8:32 AM   #3

If you're serious, and not just trolling the forum, the closest point and shoot camera to what you want is the Fuji S100fs, but it will set you back over $700.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 8:43 AM   #4

Thats OK, the last camera I bought set me back $1,000 but in the end was bad indoors and its zoom wasnt up to par.

I need a click and shoot camera.

Attached Images

Old May 29, 2008, 9:20 AM   #5

Ian Kano wrote:
Quote:
Thats OK, the last camera I bought set me back $1,000 but in the end was bad indoors and its zoom wasnt up to par.

I need a click and shoot camera.
A 'click and shoot' camera is going to have trouble indoors.

To shoot indoors, you need flash, high ISO, large apertures and/or slow shutter speeds.

A 'click and shoot' camera has a fairly weak flash.

A 'click and shoot' camera imparts a lot of noise in the image at high ISO settings, mostlybecause of its small image sensor.

Even the best'click and shoot' cameras havelenses withfairly small apertures.

That leaves longer shutter speeds which will result in motion blur due to camera shake or subject movement.

For serious indoor/low-light photography, you'll need a dSLR.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:45 AM   #6

I suggest you read this review of the Fuji S100FS. It's not perfect, but it's the best you'll get in a long zoom point and shoot.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/

A reasonable alternative would be a low end DSLR by Canon, Nikon, Sony or Olympus, with a long zoom. You could probably get the camera, the kit lens and a long zoom for under $1000.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 12:09 PM   #7

Yes, I didn't mean literally click and shoot, so, taking into account that I need t use my brain before I press the button, what would you suggest as a good camera that has a nice price...and not a professional zillion dollar job. Something that allows to change lenses, and is good indoors and outdoors...close up and distance.

Q. Which DSLR would u buy?
Old May 29, 2008, 1:27 PM   #8

Ian Kano wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I didn't mean literally click and shoot, so, taking into account that I need t use my brain before I press the button, what would you suggest as a good camera that has a nice price...and not a professional zillion dollar job. Something that allows to change lenses, and is good indoors and outdoors...close up and distance.

Q. Which DSLR would u buy?
There are a number of good dSLRs that will suit you well.

What I think you're looking for is a long lens, a low light lens, and macro capabilities.

Sigma makes a 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO, and Tamron makes the AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro. Both are good choices for a reasonably priced (<$200) long telephoto zoom lens, and are available for most dSLRs.

Most dSLR manufacturers offer lenses with large apertures, but for really large apertures (that is, larger than f/2.8, the kind of maximum aperture you'll find on the best P&S digicams) you won't find any zoom lenses. The good news is that a 50mm f/1.8 (or thereabouts) lensisn't very expensive, but it does thin out the field. Sony only has a 50mm f/1.4 (~$350), and Olympus' offerings (and Sigma's offerings for the Olympus dSLRs) are in the same price range. Canon, Nikon and Pentax all have reasonably priced lenses in this range, but Nikon's 50mm f/1.8 doesn't autofocus on it's entry level dSLRs. So that leaves Canon and Pentax.

The least expensive way to get into Macrophotography is with close-up lenses (~$20-$40) or extension tubes (~$50-$150), either of which will work well with a 50mm lens.

Canon has the XT, XTi and XSi in your price range. They are, respecively, 8MP, 10MP and 12MP. The higher the resolution, the greater your ability to crop and post process. Another consideration is that the XTi and XSi have better autofocus systems than the XT, especially importantif you want to catch that 747 pilot in-flight.

In your price range, Pentax has the K200D, a 10MP camera. The Pentax also has sensor shift image stabilization that the Canon doesn't. Image stabilization prevents motion blur due to camera shake, and while Pentax has it in the camera body, Canon only puts it in certain lenses, any of which would put you over-budget.

I think the best deal for you would be the Pentax.