Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2008, 7:40 AM   #1
jnj

Hi all,

Years back I asked this question and was guided to the Nikon Coolpix 4500. I have really enjoyed this little camera, but it is not satisfactory for my uses anymore :sad:. It needs big fixes which are likely age related. A new sensor probably, it is missing a few pixels, and the outlines of my pieces have a halo against a dark background. Sigh. It has been a very useful camera.

Now I need a camera with a larger file size image, and with excellant, crisp definition, worth of shooting images for magazines or books.

My work ranges in size from 1/2 inch to seven inches in size, sometimes to fourteen inches on rare occasions. Future work will likely fall in this range, with occasional even larger pieces. I need a camera that works well for such close work, with really close close-up detail shots.

I would also like the camera to be good for the normal-sized world photos.

Are there any good folks here who could help me sort through the virtues of today's cameras to help me find the next camera of my dreams?

J
jnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 9:16 AM   #2

Your Nikon 4500 was an excellent small camera for its time. Nikon seems to have stopped making small cameras with a swivel body like the 4500. You may be able to find the last version made, the S10, but it wasn't nearly as good a camera as the 4500.

Considering the high quality nature of the type of pictures you need, I'd definitely consider buying a DSLR with a closeup macro lens.

If you don't want to go the DSLR route, your best picture quality among point and shoots would probably be the Canon G9 or A650IS. If you need to shoot a lot of low light pictures without a flash, the Fuji F100fd would be the best choice, IMO.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:41 AM   #3
jnj

Thank you AndyfromVA.

J
jnj is offline   Reply With Quote