Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:16 PM   #11

Adorama has the Pentax K200D (body only) for $529 (after the standard rebate), the K200D with the kit lens for $589 (after the standard rebate), and the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 for $149(after the Student Rebate.)

The body only and the 50/1.4 is less than your budget, and the body+ kit lens and the 50/1.4 is only slightly over budget.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:22 PM   #12

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Adorama has the Pentax K200D (body only) for $529 (after the standard rebate), the K200D with the kit lens for $589 (after the standard rebate), and the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 for $149 (after the Student Rebate.)

The body only and the 50/1.4 is less than your budget, and the body+ kit lens and the 50/1.4 is only slightly over budget.
I'll probably get the Pentax K200D first, then the lens a little after (or maybe at the same time). Are there any good Telephoto lens available too? If so, I think I have everything I need to be a serious amateur right now.
Benibx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:34 PM   #13

Benibx wrote:
Quote:
... Are there any good Telephoto lens available too?
The Sigma and Tamron lenses I mentioned in a earlier post are good choices, and are widely available for less than $200.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:02 PM   #14

Hi Benibx,

If you are considering Pentax, here is some background information that may be helpful. The Kx00D bodies are the entry level while the Kx0D bodies are the advanced amerature with all the functionality available as buttons and wheels on the body. I currently have a K100D for the last 2 years and I am still learing with it.

K100D - 6.1MP CCD sensor
K100D Super - above + dust removal and hypersonic lens capable
K10D - 10.1 MP CCD sensor
K200D - 10.1 CCD sensor (repackaged K10D in a bit smaller body)
K20D - 14.6MP CMOS sensor

Pentax lenses - All Pentax K mount lenses for the last 30 years work fine on all the bodies. Manual lenses are still manual on the new bodies. The older M42 mount lenses will work also with an adapter (~$10). Pentax Manual focus K lenses are available on ebay 50mm f2 (~$30), f1.7 (~$50), f1.4 (~$100). M42 mount lenses are even less.

Pentax has a student rebate offer (high school included) now for photography students - read the form before counting on the rebate.
http://www.pentaxslr.com/buy/rebates

The K100D Super + the DA 18-55 kit lens is available at Abe's for $500
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...K&l=NEXTAG

The K200D is available at Beach Camera for $630 with the 18-55 lens for $90
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...mp;sku=PKK200D

So here are a couple of cameras with the kit lense that will get you going right away. Low light lenses are somewhat reasonable used, especially as manual lenses. Telephoto is Pentax's weak point (beyone 300mm). There are a number of option up to 300mm - primarly as zooms (but starting at f3.5 or f4). There are also 3rd party lenses available from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina along with others. Note that Tokina bought Pentax last year - and have been co-producing lenses for quite some time. Tokina has zoom lenses for the Pentax mount out to 200 and 300mm that are quite reasonable.

Also for low light situations, the Pentax bodies do a good job at the higher ISO levels (up to 3200 for the K100D).

If your interested in Pentax - visit the Pentax forum here at Steves (note there is a Pentax P&S and then 2 others for Pentax dSLRs and Lenses). Its very active.

Hope that helps and Good Luck...

... and I need to add one last item.

Before you do anything, go hold the cameras - all of them. The one that fits your budget may not be the best choice. The one that has all the bells and whistles, that every one raves about, may not be the best choice for you either. The one that is the best choice for you, is the one that you like - for whatever reason - that fits your hand, that you can operate, that you like to navigate the menu system, and that you can see through the viewfinder - that is the best one. They all take good pictures, they all have good lenses (and not so good lenses) but to enjoy and learn taking pictures, you need to not hate the tool. The camera is only a tool - an extension of the eye and mind, that composes the images. So go look at them all, figure out what works best for you. If you need to mow a few extra lawns (and whatever) to afford the body or a lens, or what ever - it will work out. And enjoy the art of photography.

... and if you have to work for it, you will appreciate it all the more....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote