Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1

I currently have a Minolta 7Hi. It takes pretty decent pictures. But, I need more. This new camera should be capable of taking some decent to nice pictures in low light. Mainly because sometimes I'll be taking pictures my niece Abby!.

Preferably, I'd want a camera that has a lens kit with a fast lens. If this can't be achieved, then thats fine. Some camera's that I've looked at so far include:

Olympus E-510
Sony A200
Pentax 10D
Nikon D40x (D60)
Canon XTi (XSi)

I don't really want to spend anymore then 700 bucks. I expect to spend that much and get either 2 lens, or a pretty good lens that is somewhat versatile. When I get the camera, I'll be hauling it everywhere so I guess weight should be considered.

From what I researched, the Olympus, Sony and Pentax have Image Stabilization. However, the Nikon and Canon have the most lens to choose from. But, in this case, the Nikon because of its mount will only autofocus with the newer lenses. Which somewhat leaves it in the same category as the Olympus, Sony and Pentax (When it comes to lenses to choose from). But, if I did choose the Nikon I could always upgrade to the D80 then any lenses that I may have bought will work fine.

Basically, from what I've read, here are some main features of each camera.

Olympus E-510: Live-View, Image Stabilization
Sony A200 - Image Stabilization
Pentax 10D - Weather Sealing, Image Stabilization
Nikon D40x - Good kit lenses
Canon XTi - Good high ISO performance.

I don't know which one to get. I'm leaning with the Olympus because it comes with 2 lenses (14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko lenses).

Help?
Benibx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:31 PM   #2

I don't currently own a DSLR, having sold my Pentax *ist DS more than a year ago, to buy a bridge camera. However, I have had my eye on the less expensive DSLR's for about 6 months.

I don't know what constitutes a "fast" lens for you. F 3.5 maximum aperture. I don't know any kit lenses in that group that are faster than that. You might end up having to buy a fast prime lens to meet your expectations.

Of the cameras youare considering, I would probably pick the Canon XTi or XSi. I think those cameras have better low light performance than the others. The D40X and D60 are probably pretty close, but those cameras are restricted to a narrower range of lenses. The Olympus E-510 is a very decent camera, but its smaller sensor leaves it a little behind the Canons in low light image quality. I might pick the Pentax K200D instead of the older 10D. The Sony is quite a bargain at some online etailers, but I would say that its high ISO image quality is inferior to that of most of the other cameras you have on your list.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:33 PM   #3

If low-light is a top priority, Canon has more moderately priced, large aperture lenses than anyone else. Nikon would fall into second place except that their moderately priced, large aperture lenses won't autofocus on their entry level dSLRs. That leaves second place for Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:37 PM   #4

Benibx wrote:
Quote:
I don't really want to spend anymore then 700 bucks. I expect to spend that much and get either 2 lens, or a pretty good lens that is somewhat versatile.
[align=left]:-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-)
:-):-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol::-):lol:[/align]
[align=left]For $700, you'll be liucky to get a camera body and maybe akit lens. But nothing that will be suitable for low light.[/align]
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:37 PM   #5

I read somewhere that you can get a Canon 14-50mm f/1.4 for only around $100. If this is true, it would be tempting to just get a XTi body, that and a telephoto lens for about a total of 800$

To the above. There are alot of lens kits that are less then $700 that have that.

The Olympus E510 has a deal with two lens for that much. As well as the Canon XT an the Nikon D40.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:47 PM   #6

Benibx wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere that you can get a Canon 14-50mm f/1.4 for only around $100.
There are no zoom lenses with apertures larger than f/2.8.

Canon has a 50mm f/1.4, but it's over $300.

Canon has a 50mm f/1.8 that's ~$85.

Benibx wrote:
Quote:
There are alot of lens kits that are less then $700 that have that.

The Olympus E510 has a deal with two lens for that much. As well as the Canon XT an the Nikon D40.
But none of them are suitable for low light. They all have maximum apertures of f/3.5 at the wide end of their zoom range. At a more normal angle of view, you'll get maximum apertures of f/4.5, maybe.

That's not suitable for low light photography unlessyou want to use flash.

If you want to use flash, thenyou can get by withanybody's kit lens. But that's not what I picked up from your original post.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:50 PM   #7

Hmmm, though I do want a low light lens for when I'm in low light situations. I'll also need a telephoto lens.

From what you are saying, should I get a Canon XTi and the f/1.8 lens? That lens will only work with Canon SLR's right? Also, do you think that low light ability of canon camera's offsets the Image Stabilization of others?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:02 PM   #8

Benibx wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm, though I do want a low light lens for when I'm in low light situations. I'll also need a telephoto lens.

From what you are saying, should I get a Canon XTi and the f/1.8 lens? That lens will only work with Canon SLR's right? Also, do you think that low light ability of canon camera's offsets the Image Stabilization of others?
Welcome to the wonderful world of available light photography. It's not cheap down here.

A Canon with a 50mm f/1.8 is a good start, but another good start might be a Pentax with their 50mm f/1.4 (~$200) You should be aware that these are moderate telephoto lenses on dSLRs with APS-C image sensors. These will not give you any wide angle capability, so you might want to pick up a kit lens too while you're at it. They're cheap and they work in well lit environments like outdoors.

And as to telephoto lenses, Sigma makes a 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO, and Tamron makes the AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro. Both are good choices for a reasonably priced (<$200) telephoto zoom lens, and are available for most dSLRs, including the Canon and Pentax. And they will be stabilized on the Pentax.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:06 PM   #9

Hey! It seems that Pentax has a rebate program going on right now for photography students! If you're really a photography student, I'd say you just found your next camera.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:19 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Hey! It seems that Pentax has a rebate program going on right now for photography students! If you're really a photography student, I'd say you just found your next camera.
Where is this?

So, should I get the Pentax 200D? I doubt I'll have enough money to buy all of this at once (Only a High School student). But I can buy that initially then buy the low light lenses later on. Or should I just get the Pentax 10D and use the savings to get the low light lens? Or maybe I should get the Pentax 100D and the Low Light lenses since that one seems to be the best bang for buck. (Though its only 6mp)

Seems a good deal would be the:

Pentax 100D
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=PNK100DS1855K~item.htm
w/ Kit Lenses for $550

Then get a low light lenses for about
~$150