Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1

After a long search ,i have shorlisted these two cameras,I am getting both of them at same price,no price difference what soever,I saw results of canon s5 on flickr.com and s9100 too,i liked results of s5,but reading the reviews and user feedback S9100 seems to be a better camera,though there is no Image Stabalisation in S9100.

Plz advice as the image quality is my priority,which one should i pick!

Thanks in adv for suggestions!
raptorhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:24 AM   #2

Are you aware that the Fuji S9100 weighs 750 grams (26.5 ounces) while the S5IS weighs 550 grams (19.4 ounces)?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

I have read side by side comparison of both models,is the difference in weight alraming somehow?Both of them have to be kept in case and with neck strap on while clicking.

I just need suggestions on which is good for a not so intelligent first time photographer,who have no idea about post processing,where as image clearity and ease of use are the top two requirements.

This is going to bemy first camera.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:21 PM   #4

If I wanted to lug around almost 2 pounds of camera, I'd get a DSLR. A nikon D40 is about 520 grams and the kit lens is another 200 - 720 grams compared to the 750 grams of the Fuji.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5

Not really a valid comparison, Andy...the Fuji has a 28-300mm lens...the D40 kit lens (3x) is 18-55mm (28-82mm equivalent). In order to have the same zoom range in the DSLR (10.7x), you would have to buy a second lens, or if you wanted a one lens solution, you could buy the AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. That lens, however weighs 560 grams, so when added to your camera, you now have a total of 1080g (vs. 750g for the Fuji). The 18-200mm Nikkor mentioned above retails for around $700, so it would make the total price quite a bit more than the Fuji.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:05 PM   #6

I had the S9100 and liked it, especially the manual focus ring and articulating LCD.

It is a big camera, however, so if you want something lighter, the S5 would be a good choice.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:51 AM   #7

Friends thanks a lot for advices plz keep comming in with more suggestions or recommendations.

I think both the cameras are neck to neck when it comes to image quality ,Fuji has slight advantage in Higher ISO,

What about video capabilites,i think both can record up to 1 hour of movie in it.

any other thing that i might be missing for i should consider.