Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:11 PM   #1

I am planning on going to the artic this summer kayaking. Are there any recommendations for digital camera that are not too bulky and can operate in temps as low as 10 degrees F? Cheap would be a good thing, to a point. It would get wet but (hopefully) stay in the boat.
ghpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:12 AM   #2

Any of the Olympus "tough" range would suit your purposes well.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:35 AM   #3

The Olympics cameras come in two types -- weather proof and water proof. You will want the waterproof in case you tuen over and go under. The weather proof cameras are made to go out in a rain shower or snowshower but not ment to go into a pool or boidy of water.

I have one of the weatherproof models and it works really great. I go out in the rain at times and also use it near fire hoses and such on fire calls and it has worked well so far (6 weeks). The other advantage I find is that it is a lot smaller than my Fuji S9100 so it can stay in pocket and grab shots I wouldn't have gotten by leaving the othe camera in the car trunk etc

I think the 1030SW will meet your needs except the tempature rating is listed as down to 14 degrees.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:13 AM   #4

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
I am planning on going to the artic this summer kayaking. Are there any recommendations for digital camera that are not too bulky and can operate in temps as low as 10 degrees F?
Kayaking in 10°F water is known as 'Bobsledding'. [suB]:-)[/suB]

There is a clear difference between 'waterproof' and 'weatherproof'. 'Weatherproof' means the camera can survive being exposed to water; 'waterproof" means the camera can survive being submerged in water. I think you need 'waterproof'.

The real problem is the 10°F. Most cameras don't do well below freezing for a number of reasons. But if you can manage to keep the camera close to your body (say, between two layers of clothing) then you should be able to keep it warm enough to continue operating. I'd look for a camera whose specs include operating temperatures below freezing, but I'd still do what I could to keep it warm.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote