Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:30 PM   #1

I am looking in to get my first digital camera and I am stuck between a DSLR or a point and shot camera. I REALLY want a camera that can do HDRI (bracketing).

For DSLR cameras I am looking into the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E500. Are there any point and shot cameras that can do HDRI (bracketing)?

EventuallyI will end up getting both a DSLR and a point and shot camera.
Albert de Morcerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:41 PM   #2

The Canon G9 and the S5 IS have Auto Exposure Bracketing, so you could use them to create HDR images.

You can supposedly also use the CHDK hack on most Canon Powershot cameras to allow them to do AEB too. I don't use the hack, since I have the G9. I've haven't tried HDRI yet either.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:10 PM   #3

Doesn't anyone know how to use Photoshop?
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:59 PM   #4

Track wrote:
Quote:
Not everyone cares to spend all that money to purchase Photoshop.

Dennis
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:20 AM   #5

denncald wrote:
Quote:

Track wrote:
Quote:

Dennis
I.. don't think I know a single person, professional photographers including, who has literally bought Photoshop.

That being said, and in an uncondescending way.. your reply was adorable :lol:
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:44 AM   #6

Track wrote:
Quote:
denncald wrote:
Quote:

Track wrote:
Quote:

Dennis
I.. don't think I know a single person, professional photographers including, who has literally bought Photoship.

That being said, and in an uncondescending way.. your reply was adorable :lol:
Sorry, I don't get it...where did anyone use the word "Photoship" except in your post? I believe spending $625 for a photo editing software package a waste of my money, especially with the learning curve of Photoshop. My G9 cost $450, so I believe my efforts should be spent learning to take the photo correctly the first time,and not have to spend a lot of time "creating" it in post processing.

The minimal tweaking I am willing to do to a photo can be accomplished with the free Picasa, or my old Paint Shop Pro v. 9.

Dennis
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7

Track,

I see you have edited your post to correctly spell Photoshop. So, do you imply that everyone you know who has not actually purchased Photoshop has actually pirated a copy to avoid the expense? I'm sure Abobe will be pleased to see how clever people have become in stealing their product(s). Perhaps this is why the cost of Photoshop is so high. People who actually pay for the product are subsidizing the thieves.

Dennis
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:12 PM   #8

denncald wrote:
Quote:
Track,

I see you have edited your post to correctly spell Photoshop. So, do you imply that everyone you know who has not actually purchased Photoshop has actually pirated a copy to avoid the expense? I'm sure Abobe will be pleased to see how clever people have become in stealing their product(s). Perhaps this is why the cost of Photoshop is so high. People who actually pay for the product are subsidizing the thieves.

Dennis
Yes, I also replied to your post. I guess my submission didn't take.

Photoshop is the most pirated piece of software I know. The situation is like this - you can either pay 600$ for what you already know is not a worthy cause, or you can easily get any version for free. Anyone who buys Photoshop while knowing what we now both do, is a rightous fool.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:02 PM   #9

Track wrote:
Quote:
denncald wrote: Photoshop is the most pirated piece of software I know. The situation is like this - you can either pay 600$ for what you already know is not a worthy cause, or you can easily get any version for free. Anyone who buys Photoshop while knowing what we now both do, is a rightous fool.
So, the "fool" is the one that is honest, while the dishonest one is the "smart" person? Interesting perspective. I believe then that there are a lot of "smart' people in prison, where they belong.

Dennis