Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:13 AM   #11

can i just check these dSLR's can be used as a point and shoot if you want them to?
Because while your learning, sometimes you just need to snap away.
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:43 AM   #12

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
can i just check these dSLR's can be used as a point and shoot if you want them to?
Because while your learning, sometimes you just need to snap away.
They all have an Auto mode and several scene modes you can use for snapshots, should the ocassion ever arise.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:14 AM   #13

Thanks TCav again....

could i be a pain and ask about these kit lens's
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...archtype=genre
1. what is the max zoom in terms of superzoom cameras as i havent quite got the conversion yet

2. the 18mm bit, how good a close up will i be able to get, or is it just wide angle at the low end? i definately need macro of some descripton

3. would this be a better option (not as much zoom, but only one lens's and its sigma
http://www.bestcameras-canon.co.uk/s...lens_1194.html

4. heres one more bundle with a 300mm tamron lens
http://www.jessops.com/Store/s74764/...e/details.aspx
but i dont know if the lens is ok?

thanks for even more help
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:17 AM   #14

This is the tricky part. There is no one-for-one conversion between dSLRs and superzoom cameras. Superzoom cameras throw around specs like 10X, 12X and so on. The 10X numbers are just a ratio of the focal length of the widest angle to the focal length of the longest telephoto. It is not an indication of what the actual focal lengths are. For instance, the Canon Powershot S5 IS has a zoom lens whose focal length can vary from 6mm to 72mm, thereby making it a 12X zoom, but the Panasonic Lumix FZ50 has a zoom lens whose focal length can vary from 7.4mm to 88.8mm, thereby making it a 12X zoom as well. So the 10X, 12X, etc. doesn't mean anything all by itself.

And, since different cameras use different size image sensors,neither does the focal length. A common measure by which you can compare the lens of one camera to the lens in another camera is the "35mm Equivalent Focal Length", which is a way of stating the angle of view of a particular lens in terms of the focal length of a lens that would give the same angle of view on a 35mm film SLR. As in the above example, a Canon S5 would have a "35mm Equivalent Focal Length" of 36-432mm, while the Panasonic FZ50 would have a "35mm Equivalent Focal Length" of 35-420mm. So even though they have lenses with different focal lengths, because they have different size image sensors, they have very similar "35mm Equivalent Focal Lengths".

But for dSLRs things are different, and a little bit easier. Since dSLRs can use the same lenses as the film SLRs for which the "35mm Equivalent Focal Length" is named,but (for the most part) have smaller image sensors, the term that is used is "Crop Factor". An exposure on a 35mm film strip is 24mm by 36mm, but the image sensor in, for instance, the Canon 450D is 14.8mm by 22.2mm. The size of the 35mm exposure is approximately 1.6 times the size of the image sensor of the Canon 450D, so a lens on a 35mm film SLR has an angle of view approximately equal to a lens with a focal length 1.6 times greater on the 450D. For example, a 100mm lens on the 450D would havethe same angle of view as a 160mm lens on a 35mm film SLR.

So don't worry about getting the conversion down. There isn't one.

Now, as to your choices:

1. As JimC and I have pointed out elsewhere, the 18-55 IS kit lens is a fine lens. I can't find any info on the Canon 55-250 IS, but similar non-IS lenses from Canon have not been very good. While it's nice to have IS for longer focal lengths, I'd wait for more data, or seek a better lens in this focal length.

2. The 18-55 IS kit lens has a closest focusing distance of 25cm, which is pretty good for a kit lens, but only you will know if it's 'macro' enough for you.A lot of people talk about 'macro' like the 1:1 thing is a magic number. But camera resolution, cropping and print size all have an effect on the 'macro-ness' of a photograph. And if 55mm (times 1.6x = 88mm) at 25CM isn't macro enough for you, you can add close-up lense or extension tubes, or get another lens.

3. The Sigma 18-200 is an IS lens, and that's nice, but it's not a very good lens. It is a superzoom lens, and superzoom lenses are different for dSLRs than they are for P&S digicams. First, dSLRs have larger image sensors that are farther away from the lens thanP&S digicams. That means the lens requires larger optical elements that are harder to make, and when you throw in the superzoom part, things get a lot more complicated. Superzoom lenses typically have significant geometric distortion at the wide end, chromatic aberration, and aren't a sharp as lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges. The best of it's kind is the Tamron 18-250, but it's not stabilized. I'd skip this offer.

4. While Tamron does make some very good lenses, this isn't one of them. For a little bit more money, they make a AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro which is quite good, but the one in this package is a lesser quality version.

The package deals that camera stores frequently push usually include a star attraction (a popular camera) and a bunch of junk. The purpose is to make the purchaser feel he or she is getting a lot for his or her money, but it usuallymeans that he or she is getting a lot of useless junk.

BTW, other dSLRs may, and often do, have different Crop Factors. This is an example of a 1.5X crop factor that is often used in Nikon, Pentax and Sony dSLRs.
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:58 AM   #15

lol how do you know all this stuff, im an IT manager which is quite technical, and this still seems complicated lol.

nice clear explaination, which i need to read again later thanks.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:11 AM   #16

A good friend used to call me 'a sewer of information.'
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:43 AM   #17

Well i bought a E-510 with the 2 kit lenses a month ago from a site in the UK and i payed £370 for it , what a bargain.

Ok the E-520 is probably better but not at the same price , have a look at my recent pictures all made with the E-510 :-)

http://philippeluyckx.zenfolio.com/p999439557

If you're interested i can tell you where i bought it
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:10 AM   #18

nice pics there, the main reason i discounted the olympus over teh canon 450d was here...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/page17.asp

the detail and noise compared to the 450d , plus i think it will be slower for sports type shots

but at the price of £370 its almost worth it lol
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:29 AM   #19

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
nice pics there, the main reason i discounted the olympus over teh canon 450d was here...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/page17.asp

the detail and noise compared to the 450d , plus i think it will be slower for sports type shots

but at the price of £370 its almost worth it lol
Correct the noise issue will be better with the canon but so will the price.

I must say that i prefer the ergonomics and the 4/3 format of the Olympus
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote