Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:20 PM   #11

DSLR's are much better for low light shots.

The current superzooms are the Fuji S8000fd/8100fd, the Olympus SP-570/560, the Panasonic FZ-18, and the Nikon P80. The Panasonic is probably the fastest focusing among them and has the best continuous (burst) mode. However, none of these cameras is great over ISO 400. Some would say none of them were that good over ISO 200.

I heard that the Sony and Canon 10X zoom cameras were ok at ISO 800, but if I had the money, I would get almost any DSLR over the cameras I have mentioned.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:30 PM   #12

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I had the money, I would get almost any DSLR over the cameras I have mentioned.
This is the debate that goes thru my head now: High end p&s ( Canon G9, Powershot 5S) or entry level Nikon D40? Would any DSLR , even in auto mode give me better quality pics over high end p&s? I can get D4018-55mm lens kit for basically the same price as G9.....
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Administrator

Or, pick up a Sony DSLR-A200 with a longer 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens for about the same price. ;-) I don't know about Canada. But, in the U.S., a Sony A200 kit with this lens is on sale at many dealers now (including sonystyle.com) for $499 ($100 off for a fathers day sale).

Then, you'd have the option of a brighter prime later if you wanted to get one for low light use without a flash (like a used Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens for around $100). With a Nikon solution, their brighter primes like that wouldn't Autofocus (because that Nikon body doesn't have a focus motor built in). The Aufofocus System in the Sony body is also better and faster than that Nikon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:38 PM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Or, pick up a Sony DSLR-A200 with a longer 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Kit lens for about the same price. ;-) I don't know about Canada. But, in the U.S., a Sony A200 kit with this lens is on sale at many dealers now (including sonystyle.com) for $499 ($100 off for a fathers day sale).

Then, you'd have the option of a brighter prime later if you wanted to get one (like a used Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Autofocus Lens for around $100). With a Nikon solution, their brighter primes like that wouldn't Autofocus (because that Nikon body doesn't have a focus motor built in). The Aufofocus System in the Sony body is also better and faster than that Nikon.
Hey,Jim

We have no good deals in Canada. But I will be visiting SC this summer, including Savannah. Are there any good stores you can recommend? The problem is for us Canadians bying camera in US is US warranty which can not be honoured in Canada:sad:
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:42 PM   #15
Administrator

I usually buy my gear online.

But, Circuit City stores in the U.S. have the Sony dSLR models in stock (and you'll find them in most major cities).

You may not hit the U.S. at the right time for a sale price though (and I don't know about the warranty with Sony). With Nikon, you definitely want to buy one from an authorized dealer in Canada. Nikon Canada will refuse to service a gray market camera (one not intended for sale in Canada, and they'll know by the serial number), even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Nikon USA has the same policy. Nikon does tend to be stricter about that kind of thing compared to other manufacturers though.

Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:58 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
We have no good deals in Canada.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. ;-)

I just checked Sonystyle in Canada, and it looks like they've dropped the price $100 there, too (was $649.99, now $549.99):

Sony DSLR-A200 with 18-70mm kit lens for $549.99 at sonystyle.ca

I'd check some of the dealers there. They've probably dropped their price by $100, too.

Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:43 PM   #17

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
We have no good deals in Canada.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. ;-)

You are right Just found it for $500 at Best Buy.Going to read up on it. Initially I wanted to get Canon Rebel XTi, then switched to Nikon D40. I only wanted to get either Canon or Nikon since these are the only brands I trust ( may be a bit naive here). Never considered Sony at all.

Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:02 PM   #18
Administrator

Well... I'm a bit biased since I shoot with a Sony DSLR-A700 right now (and I would definitely not trade it for a model like the Nikon D300 or the Canon EOS-40D). Sony dSLR models can use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made, and they're all stablized (thanks to the in body stabilization system).

BTW, Sony manufacturers the sensors used in most Nikon dSLR models like the D40, D40x, D60, D80, D200, D300 and more. ;-) Only a couple of current Nikon models don't use Sony sensors (the Nikon D3 uses a Nikon designed sensor, as does the D2Hs).

Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:17 PM   #19
Administrator

I've said this before... But, I think Sony is going to be a very strong player in the dSLR market as time passes.

Sony managed to grab 6% of the worldwide dSLR market in 2006, despite only having one dSLR model (the A100), that was only available for about 6 months of that year (placing them 3rd in worldwide dSLR marketshare behind Canon and Nikon). They managed to hold on to that same marketshare and third place in the dSLR niche for 2007, despite having that same one dSLR model for most of the year, only starting to ship the Sony A700 in the last quarter.

Now, Sony has released an A200, A300, A350, and A700, with a new full frame 24.6MP flagship model to be released later this year. Think about it... 1 model gave them 6% of worldwide dSLR marketshare, and now they've got 4 new models (that IMO, are better overall cameras compared to the entry level Nikon, Pentax or Olympus models), with at least one more new dSLR model coming out later this year. I think Sony knows exactly what they're doing.

There is very little doubt in my mind that they'll be a very strong 3rd place in dSLR marketshare in 2008 (higher percentage of marketshare than they achieved in 2006 and 2007) behind Canon and Nikon.

Sony is already the second largest manufacturer of digital cameras behind Canon if you include all digital cameras, not just the dSLR market niche. Nikon is not even close they're so far behind (their marketshare in the non-dSLR models has dropped off significantly over the past few years), and Sony just getting warmed up in the dSLR market niche.

It looks like they're going to spend some money on marketing them, too. For example, I saw a recent thread from someone attending a soccer tournament that said Sony had 1500 cameras there (that they were letting patrons check out). The AF system on the newer Sony models is very good (much faster than the Sony A100, and faster than the entry level bodies from Nikon, Pentax and Olympus).

Sony is the only dSLR model around with a decent live view system now, too (their A300 and A350). So, I think Sony is being *very* smart with their approach to the market, so that users looking to upgrade from a point and shoot to a dSLR have models that are easy to grow into, complete with [fast and usable] Live View.

Again, I am a bit biased (since I'm shooting with a Sony DSLR-A700 right now) ;-)

Try them out for yourself and see what you like better. Any of the cameras you're looking at are capable of taking good photos in most conditions. In challenging conditions, the differences become more obvious (for example, the Nikon entry level bodies won't autofocus with most brighter primes, don't have stabilization built into their bodies, etc.).

Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:27 PM   #20

I wouldn't limit my search to just Canon and Nikon - all of the dSLR cameras are well made. Sony is definitely making a big move into the dSLR camera market, andthey've only been in the market for a short time. But since they took over Minolta's camera division, you can't really call them a complete new-be. Pentax is an old camera firm - I'm using a couple of lenses on my Pentax dSLR that I bought new in 1980! It's like using old friends again. The company has recently been bought out by Hoya, another old company that's been making lenses and filters and other things photographic for many years, and is now using a new Samsung sensor in one of their camera (and the same Sony sensor that's supposed to be in the Nikons in the other). Samsung actually sells re-badged Pentax cameras, there are some minordifferences but they are essentially the same. Olympus is another old film camera manufacturer. I wouldn't automatically rule out any of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote