Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:14 PM   #1

Hello,I just purchased a kodak easyshare for 100$ from a coworker brand new.I took it to wal-mart to trade it in because I didn't think I would need all of the ad-ons and I figured I could get a better camera for the 250$ range.Without ever owning a camera or any knowledge I went to wal-mart and traded it in for a fuji s1000. Before opening it I decided to do some research and I found out It is dSLR,doesn't sound too newb friendly!!Apparently I cannot take pictures just by looking at the screen and it doesn't have image stabilization?I don't and won't get a tripod. I will be using it mostly for taking pictures of my instruments,pictures at concerts/piano recitals and for taking pics of stuff I am selling on ebay. Should I keep this camera or take it in and trade it in for a different one?If I do trade it in it has to be for a camera under 250$ that wal-mart carries.
xoeitheror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:33 PM   #2
Administrator

The Fuji S1000fd is *not* a digital SLR (they're all more expensive than that, and they have removable lenses, through the lens optical viewfinders, larger sensors and more). Also, you can use the LCD for framing with that model (as you can with most non-DSLR camera models).

The last digital SLR introduced by Fuji was the Fujifilm S5 Pro

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

Oh,sorry I am very new to cameras and while searching it said that it was somewhere. So would it be a fine camera for a beginner and what I am going to be doing?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:52 AM   #4
Administrator

Any of them will have pros and cons. In the under $250 category, that is probably a good camera if you need that kind of zoom range. It's a newer model, and I have not seen any reviews yet.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:54 AM   #5

I have the Fuji S5200, which is a 5 megapixel, 10X optical zoomolder brother to your 10 megapixel, 12 optical zoomS1000fd. Fuji has digital image stabilization in these cameras. Neither of these cameras has optical image stabilization. Instead they hike the ISO setting (the sensor's light sensitivity setting) when they need to increase the shutter speed to avoid blurriness in the picture you are taking. This normally results in "noisier" pictures. Some cameras are better than others in keeping noise down at high ISO's. From the one review I read, your new Fuji S1000 is pretty decent at this; image quality is fairly good even at ISO 800.

Walmart does sell the Kodak Z812 for almost the same price as the S1000. That camera does haveoptical imagestabilization. Kodaks have a reputation for being easy to use for newbies. It might be easier for you to use without a tripod.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:38 PM   #6

I know you mentioned the z812 is better in terms of ease of use but how does its image quality compare to that of the fuji?From who i ahve talked to that is into photography it seems like the general consensus is that kodaks are a joke and only good for messing around.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:11 PM   #7

I think that Kodak makes some decent superzooms.

The P850 was not bad. I think there are a lot of enthusiastic owners of the Z612, Z712, and Z812. I don't think the build quality is as good as that of most of its more expensive competitors, but from what I have read, the image quality is not bad.

Check out dcresource for reviews and comparisons. Check this site, too. It seems to me that Steve praised the Z612.

In other words, I wouldn't discount all of Kodak's cameras. I think they make some decent ones although I have Fujis.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote