Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:53 PM   #1

Hey guys. I'm ready to purchase a new digital camera and I would appreciate your help. Currently, I have a Kodak DX-7590 (5MP, 10X Optical). I appreciate a high zoom, since I take a lot of nature photos (birds, deer in the evening). However, I am also interested in getting the best image quality that I can. I wont be enlarging many prints, so very large megapixel ratings don't mean much to me.

Right now, I am looking at the Nikon P80, as this camera satisfies my need for a stronger zoom, and is right in my price range. How do you feel about this camera?

Do you have any other suggestions as far as camera options? Thank you very much for the help! I look forward to your responses.
nitromaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:07 PM   #2

I shold also mention that I am currently considering the Panasonic FZ18. It seems to have great reviews.

I think either camera (FZ18 or P80) would be significantly better than what I have now (DX-7590), so I would probably be happy with either one. However, I am a big researcher when it comes to a new purchase and I want to get the best I can for my money.

Between these two cameras, what do you all think?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:24 PM   #3

Well, I feel like I am having a converstation with myself, but hey that's ok! I'm sure you are all busy, as this is a crazy time of year for all of us.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I purchased the DMC-FZ18. I found it on sale through Amazon.com for $304. I felt that it was a good price, so I paired it with an extra battery, 16GB SDHC card, and a beginer tripod. I should be all set.

I will be sure to post some of my pictures on here once I get the camera.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:30 PM   #4
Administrator

Sorry about that (having a conversition with yourself). That happens from time to time, since users more familiar with the cameras you're considering may not see the posts. Steve hasn't even reviewed the new Nikon P80 yet, and I don't know anyone that has one.

If you read Steve's review of the camera you purchased, he thought it offered a lot of bang for the buck (note the comments about it in it's review conclusion section):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_..._fz18_pg5.html

It's also on Steve's Best Cameras List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche). That sounds like a good deal (especially with a 16GB card included).

Make sure to post some photos from it in one of our Post Your Photos forums if you have a chance.

P.S.

Welcome to the forums!

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply, Jim. The SD card was not included with the camera, but I also got a good deal on it.

Actually, Steve has reviewed the P80:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...nikon_p80.html

I think I made a good choice. Plus, like I said earlier, either camera is going to be better than what I have now.

Again, thanks for the reply. I will be sure to post some pictures in the future!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:49 PM   #6
Administrator

Wow... there are just too many new cameras, and I didn't even remember that one was reviewed. ;-)

It's amazing how much zoom range they're managing to get into a smaller package now with these newer cameras. Please let us know how you like the FZ18 when you get it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:02 PM   #7

I sure will!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:50 PM   #8

DPreview.com has a review of the FZ18 and it did very well.
PJWhooppie is offline   Reply With Quote