Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:39 PM   #1

I've been lurking the forums for awhile and just wanted to post a question of my own. I'm currently looking at purchasing my first DSLR and have really been eyeing the Rebel XTi. However, after reading some of the previews of the XS, I now wonder if I should hold off until that camera is released. Granted I know it will be hard to compare the two since the XS isn't released yet but I was just hoping to get some other opinions on what I should do. I don't really need one NOW, but I just want to know if performance wise it will be a wise choice to wait it out for the XS.

When the XS comes out, the price will drop for the XTi correct? So either way I will probably benefit from waitng correct?

How long should I wait to purchase the XS after it comes out if I do decide to go that route?

Any other cameras that I should look into in that price range and features? (Not dead set on a canon but I've been reading a lot of reviews and seemed like it would fit the bill)

Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd be able to get a good answer here.

Thanks all!

By the way I currently have a F40fd and am really pleased! I'm just ready to take a step up.
vans217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:44 PM   #2

The XSI and the XTi are very similar cameras. The primary differences are:
  • XSi has 12MP image sensor vs. 10MP sensor in the XTi[/*]
  • XSi has 3" LCD display vs. the 2.5" display in the XTi[/*]
  • XSi has 'Live View' while the XTi does not
[/*]
The 12MP image sensor is nice but the higher pixel density could introduce a problem with noise at high ISO settings. I've read conflicting reports on this.

The 3" display on the XSi is nice, especially with the 'Live View' feature.

Is waiting a good idea? Almost never! The sooner you buy it, the sooner you'll start to learn how to use it. Experience replaces nothing, but nothing replaces experience.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:01 PM   #3
Administrator

He was asking about the XS (not the XSi). ;-)

Both the XTi and XSi are shipping now. But, the XS (a.k.a., EOS-1000D) was only announced yesterday. Click on this photo to see more about this new Canon:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses!

Yep, I'm looking at the XS but thanks for the reply TCav.

I read pretty much everything I could find on the XS so now I'm really looking for others opinions and what they would do given the situation.

TCav, I agree totally with the experience factor.

But I'm still in college so I try to keep a tight budget

The way I see it, I'll probably wait for the XS to be released, read some reviews and check the prices and if it's a worth while purchase I'll get it. If the XTi seems like it would perform/work better and I can get it cheaper because of the XS release then that will be fine as well.

Basically, I'll be waiting for a couple weeks, but when the that time is up, I want to know what to do.

Any other cameras I should be looking at with same performance/price?
vans217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:28 PM   #5
Administrator

I'd also look at the Sony A200 (on sale for only $499.99 now with an 18-70mm kit lens), and the new sony A300 if you need live view (on sale for $599.99 now with an 18-70mm kit lens). These models have a camera based stabilization system (so any lens you use on them benefits from the stabilization technology), and they can use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made (as well as most third party autofocus lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and others in Minolta AF mount (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Maxxum, Alpha mount).

I'm currently shooting with a Sony A700. So, I'm probably a bit biased in their direction. Any of the entry level dSLR models can take great photos in most conditions. Your skill as a photographer is usually going to be the most important factor in getting the best results. I'd try them out in a store and see what models you like the best.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote