Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:46 PM   #1

Hey all,
I am currently looking for a good camera that takes great macros for under $500. No DSLR because I just cannot afford it. Right now, I have a Canon PowerShot G6 (I know they are on G9 now) but the camera is kinda big and clunky, but it did/does take nice pics including macros. Wanted to invest in something a little better an maybe even something compact or sub-compact? Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate all of your advice and time.

Regards,
Ross
nine9d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:34 AM   #2

A bunch of hits but no posts. Does anyone have any helpful information? Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Ross
nine9d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:57 PM   #3

I'll take a chance. I have the G9 and it takes good macros, if you are careful. A steady/stable camera (small tripod?), and precise focus (auto focus doesn't work that well, so use manual focus). This is true, IMHO, for all cameras. Your depth of field is critical with macros, so these factors can be upsetting when you think you have it right.

The 3" LCD on the G9, along with the manual focus wheel are quite helpful, but still not the best option. You could also consider the A650 IS, but it is a little larger than the G9. It has the articulating LCD (2.5"), so it could provide some assistance when shooting at low height items, or in a pinch at items over your head (something on a tree perhaps). The A650 IS does not use a wheel to help in manual focus, rather the left - right push on the round selector, so it's not as precise as the G9 method. I don't own the A650 IS, but I do own the A620, and it operates the same way. The A650 IS has most of the same build of the G9 in lens, CCD, and features, but costs less.

You can also add macro lenses to either camera, but that requires a tube adapter first. This adds bulk to the camera, but also expands your options. Here's a link to a review by a pro that uses the G9. He describes how he shoots macro with it.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_.../index_pr.html

Here's a handheld macro shot I took recently, and had printed at 24" x 36" to hang over my fireplace in the living room;

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:19 PM   #4

All Canon point and shoots take very good macros, from the cheapest (A470) to the most expensive (G9).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:50 PM   #5

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
All Canon point and shoots take very good macros, from the cheapest (A470) to the most expensive
Canon Powershot S5 IS the second most expensive, right?
BlueSky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6

At this point, the Canon SD890IS seems to be the second most expensive Canon point and shoot. After that the SD950IS and then the S5IS.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:36 AM   #7

I would recommend the S5IS, as it can focus up until objects touching the lens. If I have a dirty lens and put the camera in macro mode, it can focus on the dust spots on the lens.

This photo was taken with the older S2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrots/73477118/

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote